• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tuffy Marginez Sanders

Anyone using a Tuffy Margunez sander for bowl sanding?
Does it come with any sandpaper, can't tell from their website.
Thanks!

Just from a quick look at the website, I see two sanders; one for the bowl bottom, one for the rim. That looks like a time consuming PIA to me.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
These Tuffy Margunez sanders are very similar in function to some of the Merit flap sanders that are available. I still have some of them......somewhere. I cannot capture the image of the Tuffy Margunez sanders, for some reason, but the link is provided so others can take a look. I used the Merit products experimentally some 35 or so years ago, and they never were my staple. Disc sanders are what most turners use, and so do I, mainly on interior surfaces of bowls these days. (Although, disc sanders do work very well on exterior surfaces.)

I must mention that for bowl exteriors, I haven't used any method of power sanding for quite some time. (Well, except for some very spalted, or other severely unstable woods that are impossible to get a clean cut on.) It should be every turner's goal to eliminate the need for power sanding, as this is the real problem in destroying the geometric integrity......or "perfect circle" in woodturning. It can be done, but it takes a great deal of effort.....the rewards are great, once the need for anything but the finest of hand sanding is required to finish up, after the tool work is done.

Geometric integrity is the only thing that allows multiple finely executed details to look crisp and cleanly done. Power sanding destroys any possibility of achieving that.

-----odie-----

This is one of the Merit flap sanders. They come in a variety of widths, diameters, and grits:
1621123074765.png

Last edited:
Back