• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning a Square Edge Bowl

I have another question and hopefully that will keep me busy so I won't need to post any more questions for a while. A few days ago I read an article on turning a straight edge bowl, and it really looked neat. It looked like the blank that the pattern was attached to was probably dry wood, olive I think.

My question is can such a bowl be turned like that green? I have a lot of walnut that I have sealed and would like to use it. Can I rough turn a squared edge bowl, seal it and let it dry and then finish it later or does it have to be dry to begin with. I have also dried a few bowls in the microwave with good success. Can this be done with a roughed out square edge bowl, then finished when dried in the microwave?

Also, the article showed the blank being cut with a mitre saw. It was about 3 and a half inches thick. Some of mine is thicker. Can the straight egde be cut accurately with a band saw?

Thanks again for any help,

Jeff

You can turn them green, but they'll relax into something you will have to live with, and may not be all you were after. You'll have to, as a minimum, relevel the bottom after it dries. When I do stuff like that, I generally don't sand below 120, because it loads paper so fast. Final sanding on the lathe will not be possible, because of problems with holding and centering, as well as warp.

Save some of that quarter-sawn stuff you slabbed out of the middle of the log when you made your bowl blanks and end coat it. Next spring, if you store indoors, you'll have lots of opportunities.

You can turn a square-edge bowl out of any chunk of board you have lying around. For example, here's how I did the one I posted the other day. http://www.photosite.com/mmouse8/Album1/

Back