• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Activity in Yuma, AZ

I'll be spending February and March in Yuma, AZ. I've checked the AAW for clubs in the area and find none.
Any of you know of any clubs or groups in the area?
How about wood sources?

The RV resort we stay at has a woodshop with a number of older lathes so I'm taking my tools and some wood.

I'll be spending February and March in Yuma, AZ.

The RV resort we stay at has a woodshop with a number of older lathes so I'm taking my tools and some wood.
Snow-bird, ehh? We were going to do the same but our camper got nailed by a tree this past November and totaled it so alas, not gonna happen this year. (still have the wood from the tree so I'm going to get turners revenge! LOL)

I have heard of a campground north of Phoenix that had lathes but not Yuma. Personally, I'd call ahead and find out thread size on the lathes so you could take along your favorite chuck, definitely my own gouges and likely my own grinder (Tormek for me). Enjoy!

I'll be spending February and March in Yuma, AZ. I've checked the AAW for clubs in the area and find none.
Any of you know of any clubs or groups in the area?
How about wood sources?

Would you mind sharing the info on that RV Resort?

Fortuna De Oro, a Cal-Am RV Resort is where we are going. The woodshop opened several years ago with lots of used equipment. There's at least a half-dozen lathes both 16" Jets and Jet Mini's. I don't think any are variable speed models :( We were there two and three years ago. I did a few flat work projects along with a number of scroll saw pieces. Also did a lot of work setting up the shop, building benches and getting used equipment tuned up. I served as a shop monitor monitoring safety and showing people how to use the equipment.

We stayed home last year so this will be my first time there as a turner. The shop is woefully short on accessories for any of the power tools so I'll be packing a lot of my stuff for trip.

Stop in and say hi if you are in the area.

Back