• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Classes in Louisiana

I am looking for small hands on turning classes in Louisiana on a nearby state. Someplace driveable. Would love to take a class with Jimmy Clewes but by the time you add airfare and hotel the cost is a bit much. Thanks in advance for any help.

Patrick

I suggest you start with your local clubs and see if they have classes, many do. Here is what came back from the AAW website for clubs in Louisiana.

1706881273596.png

They can certainly provide you with guidance and information.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I’m sure you will get closer suggestions.
Jimmie clewes is a superb instructor.

I’ll suggest three are all a long long days drive. They are excellent instructors.

I ranked these in order (my simple mind) of how much they overlap with Jimmie clewes.
Nick Agar - savanna Georgia.
Rudy Lopez - Spring Hill, Florida. - talked to Rudy a couple weeks ago. Building a new shop should be doing classes now or close to it.
David Ellsworth - Weavervile, North Carolina

If you have a special interest I can perhaps suggest one over the other.
All are great at the basics.
For example if you are interested in color and texture Nick Agar is a good choice.

Last edited:
I suggest you start with your local clubs and see if they have classes, many do. Here is what came back from the AAW website for clubs in Louisiana.

View attachment 60028

They can certainly provide you with guidance and information.
Although those are in La. They are in South La. I am in NW La only 10 miles to Tx border. The closest club to me is in Dallas Tx. 5 hr drive.

Patrick, do contact the clubs anyway. The spread/areas of where the turners live is huge, and there probably is some one fairly close to you and you could probably hook up for a 'play date'...

robo hippy

My suggestion would be a local club. The club I belong to has what we call open shop mentoring the 4th Saturday every month. Bring your own tools and wood and the pro’s will help you with all you need for free.

Back