• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning course

Hello everyone,
I had planned on just watching YouTube videos to learn how to turn, using carbide tools.
But after introducing myself on the forum, I was advised to join a club or take classes, and after reading the advice on this getting started section, especially by hockenberry, I signed up for a woodturning 101 class at craft supplies, in Provo.
It's a 3 day course from June 8th to the 10th.
After reading that self taught newbies can develop bad habits, this seemed the most sensible thing to do.
I'm excited to take this course, and would like to thank the folks on the forum for their advice.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Three to seven day immersive courses are a fantastic way to build skills quickly and have a lot of fun. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you focus on turning 24/7 surrounded by a good teacher and other students each with a set of skills to bring. Even after decades of turning I found that a week with Alan Lacer at the Marc Adams School provided a step change in my skills. Two days of that was "skew camp", an experience that turned the skew into my favorite tool.

We have a client with a plant in central Utah, so i've been able to stop in at Craft Supplies a few times. Got a full tour on my first visit and the training studio is quite impressive. I was tempted to take a 7 day this year, but the West Michigan chapter is holding a 5 day intro class in July--and that's only a few minutes from my son's new house--makes it much more affordable!! I'm beyond ready for in-person guidance--videos and articles may have excellent content, but they will never provide the feedback that a good instructor can offer.
earl

The folks at Craftsupplies are a great help in every aspect of woodturning. What makes a hands on class so much better than a youtube video, especially for a beginner, is the ability to interact. Watching someone turn wood is one thing, having an expert watch you, stop you when you're doing something wrong, and then showing you how and why to do it right makes all the difference. They're also great at teaching the principles of good form, sharpening, and finishing.

My first couple of years turning were me being self taught by a book and then going out to the shop and practicing, then reading the book again, and going out and practicing again. I probably would have figured every thing out eventually, but having some one give me those helpful hints saved huge amounts of time experimenting....

robo hippy

As I mentioned before, I was convinced to take these classes because of the advice I was given on this forum.
So I am glad to follow your recommendations, and after the classes are over I'll report on how things went.
This sure seems like a friendly group of people, who don't mind sharing their knowledge with beginners like myself, and I really do appreciate it.

If there is a local woodturning club that may be a way to learn from others, as well. I've been able to spend time one on one with someone from my club which has been a great help. I'm looking forward to club in person demos/classes starting up again soon to learn even more. David Ellsworth's book (from the library) was a good resource.

If there is a local woodturning club that may be a way to learn from others, as well. I've been able to spend time one on one with someone from my club which has been a great help. I'm looking forward to club in person demos/classes starting up again soon to learn even more. David Ellsworth's book (from the library) was a good resource.

No, there is no local club or group of woodturners.
The closest I could find is 200 miles away, but I do plan on joining them when they begin to have in person meetings again.
I'll check to see if David Ellsworth's book is available in the library, thanks for the suggestion.

Another benefit of a class is it can actually be a money saving practice. Instead of trying the LNT (latest new thing) you can establish good practices right from the start and save some money.
Going to school at Craftsupplies, Robert is almost sure to come home with some new tools, but they should be sound, generally purposeful tools. With the days of mentored hands-on learning, that would be money well spent.

On the other hand, it's pretty typical to see people who attend a demonstration by a famous woodturner plunking down cash on their next, specialized, "one tool from greatness" tool. That won't save money.

Attending a multiday school at the shop of a famous woodturner might also lead to the purchase of specialty tools, but with the supervised hands-on learning, the learner would have learned how to use them.

As many have said here on the forum before, it's not about the tools, it's all about the mentored instruction.

Going to school at Craftsupplies, Robert is almost sure to come home with some new tools, but they should be sound, generally purposeful tools. With the days of mentored hands-on learning, that would be money well spent.

On the other hand, it's pretty typical to see people who attend a demonstration by a famous woodturner plunking down cash on their next, specialized, "one tool from greatness" tool. That won't save money.

Attending a multiday school at the shop of a famous woodturner might also lead to the purchase of specialty tools, but with the supervised hands-on learning, the learner would have learned how to use them.

As many have said here on the forum before, it's not about the tools, it's all about the mentored instruction.

You're right, I've never been to Craft Supplies before but from what I have read online it's one of the best stores in the country.
And I do plan on making a few purchases there.
A lady who works there called today and I paid the balance of the course cost, and she sent me a curriculum.
It looks as if they are providing everything. But they did recommend a smock.
But I can buy that from them also.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
was able to get the same gouges and ground angles as I used in the class
One of the great aspects of a quality class is coming away with a set of skills in using particular tools and grinds.
i encourage newer turners to keep it simple and use what you learned.

as a novice turner spending time practicing with those tools to refine the surfaces and shapes you make will pay dividends for decades.

after 6 months of s year you may decide to explore other tools and grinds

That's nice to get a discount, I hope that they still do it.
I already bought a little jet 1221vs lathe,
but I didn't buy a chuck for it yet.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
You're right, I've never been to Craft Supplies before but from what I have read online it's one of the best stores in the country.
And I do plan on making a few purchases there.
A lady who works there called today and I paid the balance of the course cost, and she sent me a curriculum.
It looks as if they are providing everything. But they did recommend a smock.
But I can buy that from them also.
I like there lightweight black smock the collar works great for keeping the chips out of my neck and its made out of a breathable material for the hot days. Just wish they sold it without all there logos i am about to attempt to cut out all the embroidery.

Back