• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Game calls....

Website
www.myspace.com
Hello All,

Well I've decided to turn 2 elk calls for my brother in law. I received the kits the other day that even though they do have instructions by HUT, it still doesn't compute.

So does anyone know of any good sites that go over turning game calls or has anyone done any themselves and have any article to let me know about.

Anything would be great. Thanks. :cool2:

Ray
~Gothyc Designs

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There is a book by Fox Chappell Publishing titled "Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls" by Ed Glen and Greg Keats. There is a review of the book in my club's (Woodturners of North Texas) May 2006 Newsletter. If you are a woodturner primarily, then the book is not very interesting, but if your primary interest is making game calls and the lathe is a means to that end then the book is probably more interesting.

Bill

Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the input. I actually did find the Craft Supplies, I knew I probably saw it a round and thought to ask. That seemed to be the most informative that I've seen at that point and has helped. So last night I turned the first one using Camphor Burl, It turned out nicely. I have also started the second with Bubinga. I just need to finish the stopper.

I agree flyrod444, It has proven to be very fun and more complex thus far in my new learning on the lathe. I will also check out the sites you listed any and all info is helpful.

Thanks again,

Ray
~Gothyc Designs

Back