• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for August 30, 2021

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Congratulations to @Andy Chen !! His piece "Polymer Clay Millefiori Corian Vase" was chosen as the TOTW by @john lucas
This is what John had to say about Andy's vase: " I find the shape very pleasing and the insert with the Polymer clay was done extremely well. I enjoy seeing turnings done with other materials and this one is very nice."

full

Congrats Andy,
this Piece is deserving indeed.
;) Where’s the wood:)
Sorry, Al. I watched Toni Ransfield's demo on polymer clay at the 2018 SWAT symposium intently because I saw her beautiful millefiori work in the Instant Gallery. When she mentioned polymer clay and wood don't get along very well because the clay doesn't move but wood does, I said, ah, I got the answer to that. Like they say, the rest is history.

Congratulations to @Andy Chen !! His piece "Polymer Clay Millefiori Corian Vase" was chosen as the TOTW by @john lucas
This is what John had to say about Andy's vase: " I find the shape very pleasing and the insert with the Polymer clay was done extremely well. I enjoy seeing turnings done with other materials and this one is very nice."

full
Thanks, Emiliano!

Andy, congratulations! Not only is the application wonderful, but also the design in the clay itself.
I have tried clay on wood, but haven't been satisfied with the cure equipment temperature controls available.

Andy, congratulations! Not only is the application wonderful, but also the design in the clay itself.
I have tried clay on wood, but haven't been satisfied with the cure equipment temperature controls available.
Thanks for the kind words, Bernie. I use a convection toaster oven with a digital display. The temperature is accurate. Toni Ransfield mentioned at her demo at the 2018 SWAT symposium that it is hard to combine polymer clay with wood because wood moves. I said to myself I got the perfect medium, Corian. There are technical challenges even with Corian. That's why it took me so long to get to this point.

Thanks for the kind words, Bernie. I use a convection toaster oven with a digital display. The temperature is accurate. Toni Ransfield mentioned at her demo at the 2018 SWAT symposium that it is hard to combine polymer clay with wood because wood moves. I said to myself I got the perfect medium, Corian. There are technical challenges even with Corian. That's why it took me so long to get to this point.
Thanks for the info Andy, I'll have to buy one of those.

Back