• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Of The Week for May 29, 2023

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My choice for Turning of the Week for May 29th, 2023 is “Rocking Bowl” by James Seyfried.

This sizable piece has it all going for it. Great walnut crotch figure, fine turning, and flawless finish … and, it looks like a guitar! The small bowl and subtle double inlay add to the illusion. Great work, Jim!

full

Great way to show off an awesome piece of wood. It's got a beautiful shape and proportions (as well as grain/figure) and I really like the guitar effect with the inlays around the opening. Well done! :cool:

EDIT: I'm curious, did you plan it and go into it with that idea in mind, or did it evolve/show itself along the way?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Is there a sub-gallery anywhere where we can see all the TOTWs in one place?

To explain how Dave Landers did it, here is the step-by-step procedure:
  • Click on Search at the top right of any forum page.
  • Then click on Advanced Search in the pop-up box.
  • Then on the Advanced Search page click on Search Tags.
  • Then in the Tags search box, enter totw and then click the Search button.
When a member of the TOTW team makes a selection, she/he adds the totw tag to the image to make it searchable.

If you would like to see a list of the threads that announce the weekly selections, you can follow the above procedure and enter turning of the week as the search parameter.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
To explain how Dave Landers did it, here is the step-by-step procedure:
Actually, I went to James' TOTW post in the Photo Gallery and clicked on the "totw" tag under the photo. This cat, like many others, may be skinned in multiple ways (although I wonder why anyone would want to do that to a cat).

Website
jpseyfried.com
I'm curious, did you plan it and go into it with that idea in mind, or did it evolve/show itself along the way?
Had planned a winged bowl. On previous ones I have rounded the limbs and base, but left some of the crotch. With this one I rounded the complete top, that is when I got the idea for the guitar theme.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
This cat, like many others, may be skinned in multiple ways (although I wonder why anyone would want to do that to a cat).

Before skinning a cat, it would be educational to practice on a cactus and keep in mind that a cactus is passive. :)

Back