• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Mark Hancock for being selected as Turning of the Week for July 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week, June 10, 2024

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Guardian Pinguin by @Ronald Campbell is my selection for TOW. Ronald has treated us to a great series of these whimsical bird sculptures. Each gives us a glimpse of the bird’s emotion as it is caught in a pose. Here the adult and chick implore us to imagine what they are thinking.
I’m thinking they want some recognition. They deserve it.
Ronald this is a great piece. Keep them coming. Thank you for sharing some of your journey with us.

IMG_1699.jpeg
Standing 12 inches tall is a "Guardian Pinguin". "Guardian Pinguin" is a whimsical sculpture crafted from a repurposed bowling pin, adorned with a golden crown and waddle. The beak, ingeniously carved from deer antler, adds a touch of rustic elegance. This piece celebrates the nurturing spirit and regal presence of penguins, embodying both strength and care in its unique design.

Website
ronandlana.com
Congrats, Ron. I always enjoy looking at these. Did you buy a bowling alley? :D
No but my daughter did to store her cars in. Many more should you want some.

Website
ronandlana.com
Hi Ron it looks great but I'm interested to know how you actually turned it!
I first have to turn the plastic or rubber coating off the pin and all the crushed fibers, there can be many. I then need to cut the head off and reposition it.
This one has a deer antler for the beak.

Back