• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the week for September 13, 2021

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For this week's TOTW, I've chosen James Seyfried's Ash Platter. James is no stranger to these AAW forums, and is well known for his excellent large footed bowls. As I see it, this is a great example of the "feather" he describes. (Isn't that a beginning of a crotch?) The best side is exposed in the top of the platter. (Tell me, James....by viewing this piece from the endgrain, do you have a "horseshoe", or "rainbow" orientation of the grain?) Whatever it is, you chose well!

I've always been a fan of finely executed turning, which exposes Mother Nature's great figuring in exceptional pieces of wood.....and, this one does it nicely, without the need for embellishment, or highly detailed lathe work.

This is what James has to say about it:
"This is a 17 ½” Ash platter, it sits about 1 ½” tall and just under ½” thick. I dried this piece for a couple of years after roughing and a heavy coat of Anchorseal, thinking that it might help keep the feather from cracking. The foot is dovetailed on the inside so it could be hung in any direction. This is still a work in progress as I plan to make a revolving base."

-----odie-----

ashplatter652.jpg
ashplatter653.jpg

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Congrats, Jim. You let the wood do all the talking on this one! I also like that well defined narrow bead.
Perhaps (just for photo / display purposes), since the 'feather figure' is not in the center of the piece if you rotate it 90º so the feathering is on the bottom it might give it a little more visual balance. Just a thought - might work, might not! :)

Website
jpseyfried.com
Thank you Odie! Yes the feather is from the crotch of a tree. The end grain orientation with the top up, there is a “horseshoe” pattern for each branch or on both sides of the feather.

Thanks Bill!

Thanks Emiliano! And I should add that D-way beading tools do an amazing job.

Thanks Tom! The different orientations is a good idea, I should take a few more pictures to check it out. I did think that different people might like to look at it in different positions and made the back so it could be easily done.

Congratulations Jim. I have always admired your work for the great forms you produce in your turnings. As has been mentioned, you pretty much let the wood and the form speak for themselves. Beautiful.

Back