• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning video recommendations

I suspect this will be like trying to get a drink of water from a firehose, but since I've been missing out on my local club meetings and demos, who's got recommendations for really good turning videos online? Looking for not only good skills, but good presentation, pacing and videography.
Let the linkfest begin!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There are a lot of good ones out there. I would offer mine. They arent project oriented and I kept them all.to 15 minutes. I tried to make the educational. Go to you tube and type in john60lucas. You can also try johnclucaswoodturner.

I have a bunch up on You Tube. Mostly on bowl turning, and with this shut down, am finally 'getting a-round-2-it' with some more videos that have been on the back burner for a while. One of my favorites on You Tube is Mike Waldt from Whales. Good approach for teaching, and a lot of interesting projects.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
try browsing through the tips&techniques
I started the threads below and each one has a video of a demo I’m presenting
Video is quite good because our videographer, Jan Carl is excellent. Phil Pratt is excellent too.

two you won’t see anywhere else- two things I developed:
1. Ball in a Ball - video courtesy AAW- from the 2010 techniques dvd
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/ball-in-a-ball.15698/

2. Suspended spherical forms -
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/suspended-spherical-forms.14910/

3. seed jar - split face grain hollow form - probably won’t see this elsewhere
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/turning-a-seed-jar-split-hollow-form.13584/

4. working with green wood 2 videos from the same demo,
Turning a green bowl for drying, remounting s dried bowl and finish turning
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/working-with-green-wood.11626/

5. Mounting a faceplate - short part of a hollow form demo
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/mounting-a-faceplate.14749/

t
here are few more too

Look for Stuart Batty, YouTube and Vimeo. Also his dad's, Alan Batty. Classics, timeless and pure British perfect technique.

Alan Batty was a treasure, and it is easy to see that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. The linguistic cadence, the quips, the interruptions to tell a story, it all shows up when you watch Stuart. Though Stu leaves out the un-PC stories.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Alan Batty was a treasure, and it is easy to see that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. The linguistic cadence, the quips, the interruptions to tell a story, it all shows up when you watch Stuart. Though Stu leaves out the un-PC stories.
I always recommend his chasing threads video. He was such a great turner, person and a good father to Stu

This pandemic really was an eye opener for me. These Zoom demos are very good. Especially Cindy Drozda as she is the best that I have seen moving the video for whatever she is doing. You get to see every nuance of her cuts and her explanations are precise and to the point. She delivers 3+ hours on what ever the subject she is demoing that day.

This pandemic really was an eye opener for me. These Zoom demos are very good. Especially Cindy Drozda as she is the best that I have seen moving the video for whatever she is doing. You get to see every nuance of her cuts and her explanations are precise and to the point. She delivers 3+ hours on what ever the subject she is demoing that day.
Cindy is doing a live interactive zoom demo - this Saturday ( the 30th of Oct.) at 1 p.m. EDT Here is a link to her homepage where anyone can sign up for it.

This is a pretty good list and all of the named turners make good...SAFE....videos. I will be honest tho, and say to anyone asking me where to find videos.....I never give a generalized " just search Youtube" recommendation - because there are a LOT of folks that truly believe that if they own lathe, and a sharpened tool that they should broadcast themselves. This has lead to MANY un-safe examples being set. And there are some that may not be particularly un-safe for well experienced turners......but the turner on video does not explain that to the viewer.

So, like Al Hockenbery suggests - I refer them to the AAW videos - because I know that safe practices and advisements for experience level for certain things are important.

For me - there is a prevailing thought when talking to a new turner...."How can I help - AND teach him/her the importance of safe practices without making them fearful or worse...foolhardy about safe practices."

Back