• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Union Graduate

Looking for a short bed and tailstock. I know this is a long shot as these same rare here in the USA. Any tool rests and face plates are we come. Let me know what you've got.

Best regards,
David

Are you good at restoring this lathe? It's literally a long shot. It's in Washington state. I saw, in person, a short bed Union Graduate with VFD and 1.5 HP 3Ph motor. I can see the center of the spur drive wobbles as the lathe spins, so there will be some work. Message me if you are interested and I can provide some info.

Are you good at restoring this lathe? It's literally a long shot. It's in Washington state. I saw, in person, a short bed Union Graduate with VFD and 1.5 HP 3Ph motor. I can see the center of the spur drive wobbles as the lathe spins, so there will be some work. Message me if you are interested and I can provide some info.
My plan is to eventually restore my UG. It has been incredibly difficult to find parts. Most of what I can find is in the UK and shipping is atrocious!

I would be interested to learn about this lathe you speak of.

My plan is to eventually restore my UG. It has been incredibly difficult to find parts. Most of what I can find is in the UK and shipping is atrocious!

I would be interested to learn about this lathe you speak of.
I saw the Union Graduate in person. The spindle wobbles as it turns. Otherwise it’s probably sitting in my garage already. The lathe was owned by a pro turner in the past, then another tool lover bought it and installed a VFD but never really used the lathe. The tailstock as been replaced by something that looks like a metal lathe tail stock which looks structurally stronger than the original one. If you want the original one you can get it from that UK store you mentioned.

I only spent about 30 mins in his shop and I didn’t bring any tools to further examine the machine, so I’m not sure if it’s worn bearings, a bent spindle or something else. If you love Union Graduate and have time to restore it, I think it will be a good machine. The old machines are built to be repairable. It’s a beautiful classic machine to a workshop once fully restored. Still thinking to get it, but will be very happy to see the lathe in good hands.

Back