• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Upgrading chucks

So am going from a 1” spindle lathe to a1 1/4” spindle lathe. Have to upgrade chucks. No problem with my Oneway Stronghold, just change out spindle adapter. But I have a G2 Nova chuck that has to have a spindle adapter that makes the chuck stick out another 2” or so. I’m worried it will cause to much vibration. Any experience with these adapters? Should I just go with another Oneway? For a cheaper chuck I really like the little Nova.

I know this isn't a prefered practice, but I was turning on an 18" lathe today and it had a 1 1/4" to 1" spindle adapter between the chuck and spindle. Turned an 11" bowl and had no vibration or movement. Was using 3 1/2" jaws and a tenon. Was running it anywhere from 700 to 1200 rpm. Dried walnut. It was nice having the bowl a couple inches further away from the headstock compared to my lathe. It gave more movement of the gouge available when working at the bottom of the bowl with a push cut. I would buy the adapter for your Nova chuck and buy 1 1/4" chucks in the future.

I use a long adaptor to provide a deeper reach for re-chucking inside deeper bowls and they work just fine with both my Nova and Vicmarc chucks. That give me an extra clearance of 100mm/4" away from the headstock.

As mine are a 'same thread to same thread' they are not really an adaptors, just an extension, so I had to get mine custom engineered as not an off the shelf item.

A more readily available off the shelf adaptor would I expect be a cheaper solution than selling your current chucks 2nd hand and buying new ones.

If this is the smallish G3 chuck, and you have a larger chuck for larger work, you will probably use the G3 for smaller projects. With that in mind, the adapter should work fine. If it doesn't, you're only out $30 or so. If you're planning to turn 16" tall hollow forms with the G3, you might get into trouble with an adapter, but you'd likely get into trouble with this use anyway.

Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
If you keep turning you will probably want another chuck (or 2 or 6) anyway. Keep it. I have a number of G3s with 1" native threads and one with a 1" adapter. These are in addition to my Supernovas and Stronghold. I frequently use the G3s on my Powermatic with an adapter. No issues for me. If it gives you a problem, then you have an excuse to get that Vicmarc VM120.

If you keep turning you will probably want another chuck (or 2 or 6) anyway. Keep it. I have a number of G3s with 1" native threads and one with a 1" adapter. These are in addition to my Supernovas and Stronghold. I frequently use the G3s on my Powermatic with an adapter. No issues for me. If it gives you a problem, then you have an excuse to get that Vicmarc VM120.
Thanks. Was considering a new Oneway Talon as a smaller chuck with dedicated 1 1/4” threads.

I had a spindle adapter once, before I knew about getting different inserts for my chucks. I didn't like it because I noticed right away that there was more vibration. The farther some thing sticks out past the base of the headstock tower, the more vibration there will be. This is why most hollow form turners will use a steady rest. Most bowl turners do not. Platters seem to be a different animal here, and a very light touch is needed near the rim.

robo hippy

I have a Nova G3 Chuck with a spindle adapter that I have been using for a couple of years. Never a problem. It is actually my go to Chuck for when I do basket illusion because of the extra length the adapter gives me.

I had a spindle adapter once, before I knew about getting different inserts for my chucks. I didn't like it because I noticed right away that there was more vibration. The farther some thing sticks out past the base of the headstock tower, the more vibration there will be. This is why most hollow form turners will use a steady rest. Most bowl turners do not. Platters seem to be a different animal here, and a very light touch is needed near the rim.

robo hippy
Exactly what I was afraid of. I ordered the adapter and if it doesn’t work I’ll go with the Talon. Thanks to all who commented.

If you engage the tailstock when turning bowls on an adapter, that will eliminate most of the vibration. I prefer to turn bowls without the tailstock engaged.

robo hippy

Back