• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Urn blank(s)

Really good friends’ wife passed away, and he asked for an urn. I’m honored, but don’t have any fantastic options around right now.

Does anyone have nice dry options for sale? They lived here in WA and down in NV, hoping to use something that’s representative.

Website
www.cutthroatwoodworks.com
What size blank are you aiming for, Aaron? I don’t have one but a figured big leaf maple or myrtle sounds right for previously living in the PNW.

Shoot me a text or message and I’ll send photos of a few pieces I’d be willing to trade with you.

Really good friends’ wife passed away, and he asked for an urn. I’m honored, but don’t have any fantastic options around right now.

Does anyone have nice dry options for sale? They lived here in WA and down in NV, hoping to use something that’s representative.
Aaron I'm in the Olympia area and have plenty of local wood. How big a piece do you need.

Aaron I'm in the Olympia area and have plenty of local wood. How big a piece do you need.
Hey Finn, thanks for the reply. I think I’m looking fit something in the 6-7” by 10”? First time making a human urn, so this sizing is a conservative best guess.

I’m just north of Fort Lewis in Steilacoom, and am over your way frequently.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
First time making a human urn, so this sizing is a conservative best guess.
Everything I have read in planning memorial urn for my Mom (and eventually, Dad - they want their ashes combined together then buried) works out to a formula of approximately 1 Cubic Inch per pound of body weight - So, all you need to do is figure how many cubic inches of dry volume your urn will hold (allowing for, say, "give or take 10%") and compare that to the intended's body weight prior to cremation...

Everything I have read in planning memorial urn for my Mom (and eventually, Dad - they want their ashes combined together then buried) works out to a formula of approximately 1 Cubic Inch per pound of body weight - So, all you need to do is figure how many cubic inches of dry volume your urn will hold (allowing for, say, "give or take 10%") and compare that to the intended's body weight prior to cremation...
When making my first urn, I had trouble estimating the size of urn needed to hold the volume required. I tend to forget when I'm doing this, but everything is based on the INSIDE dimensions, so allow for wall thickness when figuring the blank size required. I had to repeatedly look this up. I know, we were told there would be no math.:oops:

If the urn is roughly a cylinder, it's ∏ x r2 x h
If the urn is roughly a sphere, it's ∏ x r3

(even the forum software doesn't want to do math and won't let me do exponents)

Hey Finn, thanks for the reply. I think I’m looking fit something in the 6-7” by 10”? First time making a human urn, so this sizing is a conservative best guess.

I’m just north of Fort Lewis in Steilacoom, and am over your way frequently.
The Woodturners of Olympia are having a meeting tomorrow night (Tues 3/8) at 6:30pm at the First Baptist Church in Olympia if you're so inclined. We are requiring masks and proof of vaccination at least until the State says no longer needed.

Oh man, I would totally be there but I’m out of town for Army stuff. Will be back this weekend, then gone for another week, then home for a couple of weeks before taking off for most of the time before Memorial Day weekend.

I’ve been waiting for the Olympia club to start up in person stuff to join.

Back