• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Used Quality Keyless Drill Chuck with #2 Morse Taper

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I've found two very good 1/2" Albrecht's for around $150 ea by watching Ebay fairly closely over a span of 4-6 weeks each time.

There's a pretty good looking 3/8" one there now for $150. Half inch ones tend to be more expensive if that's what you need, unless you watch for a while.

Is there a reason for spending that kind of money on a drill chuck for the lathe? I paid about $65 for a keyless chuck new and it's never failed me. Works well. Just wondering what I'm missing. I would say that, after using it awhile, I decided that I should have bought a keyed chuck instead.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Is there a reason for spending that kind of money on a drill chuck for the lathe? I paid about $65 for a keyless chuck new and it's never failed me. Works well. Just wondering what I'm missing. I would say that, after using it awhile, I decided that I should have bought a keyed chuck instead.
If you think you should have bought a keyed chuck instead then that could well be the reason for spending more money on a chuck! I used and hated a cheap keyed chuck (PITA to use, made divots in my drill shanks), tried and discarded a cheap keyless chuck (didn't hold very well, made divots in my drill shanks), found the Albrechts and now have nothing to complain about. Between the ease of use and not having to go searching for the ever-missing chuck key I'm never going back! Spending $500+ on a new one would be a non-starter, but the used ones I've found seem to be just fine for my needs.

Really the only thing I don't like about my keyless chuck is that it is a little difficult to tighten down. This problem has been mostly eliminated since I upgraded my lathe from a Nova Comet II to the Powermatic 3520C. I think my original difficulties were due to a cheap tailstock which didn't easily move in and out no matter what I did to clean it and lubricate it. The Powermatic tailstock moves smoothly and I rarely have problems with tightening chuck on the bit. Never had any divots in my bit shafts.

Anyway, I really don't use it very much except for pens (which I rarely turn) and sometimes for hollowing as a preliminary step (although I can sometimes get most of the inside hollowed just as easy with my hollowing tools).

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Really the only thing I don't like about my keyless chuck is that it is a little difficult to tighten down. This problem has been mostly eliminated since I upgraded my lathe from a Nova Comet II to the Powermatic 3520C. I think my original difficulties were due to a cheap tailstock which didn't easily move in and out no matter what I did to clean it and lubricate it. The Powermatic tailstock moves smoothly and I rarely have problems with tightening chuck on the bit. Never had any divots in my bit shafts.

Anyway, I really don't use it very much except for pens (which I rarely turn) and sometimes for hollowing as a preliminary step (although I can sometimes get most of the inside hollowed just as easy with my hollowing tools).
That's a really nice upgrade. I assume it made many tasks easier. I like the chucks not only for their drilling to start hollow forms, but also for their flexibility in attaching tools/accessories/etc. to the lathe.

Back