• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using the indexing on the chuck

I have a Supernova2 chuck and while mounting it recently, I discovered the holes in the back for indexing! Never really paid attention to them in the past. Yep, I'm a slow learner. I'm wanting to make a clock face, either round or square with the interior turned on the lathe, maybe a series of shallow beads and coves. I'm thinking (scary, isn't it?) that I could use the index feature to mark the various number positions on the clock. Your thoughts and advice are most welcome, as always. Thanks.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Yes, you could if the number of holes is a multiple of twelve and you aren't talking about a digital clock face. :D I'm afraid you lost me on the "series of shallow beads and coves" if that has something to do with the indexing.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John I will bring my index pin that I make to use in chucks to the meeting tonight. I wrote an article on building this but can't remember if it's been published yet. Thought I had a photo but they are all to large. I'll have to downsize one later.

Bill, the clock will be for a conference of outdoor writers. I wanted to "texture or contour" the inside to get away from the flat appearance and make it appear like a target. The 12-3-6-9 will be the larger end of a cartridge, the others will be smaller cartridge ends. Might see how I can color the "rings" as I have a month to fuss, fume and fret over it. Suggestions for colors? Looking at a wood to allow the cartridge ends to stand out; will see what Hobby Lobby has or what's in my stockpile. My wife and I stop in HL just to see what they have new or on sale!
John, thanks. See you this evening!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm thinking (scary, isn't it?) that I could use the index feature to mark the various number positions on the clock. Your thoughts and advice are most welcome, as always.

The Vicmarc chucks also have index detents too. You will need a locking mechanism like @john lucas is bringing to you. Any stiff spring wire can be bent and sharped to fit the hole and clamped to a piece of wood that is then clamped to the lathe.

Marking is best done with a pencil on a flat surface. I made a flat rest with Mdf mounted on a 1” turned post that fits in the banjo. I cut a 1” diameter tenon to go into the MDF with Leaving the square shoulder cut at 90 degrees so that the top of the MDF will be square to the turned post.

You also need to drill or turn a space for the clock mechanism in the back and a through hole to mount the hands. Get the mechanism before you start. With luck your chuck will expand in the clock recess to let you work in the face.

A simple clock face can be made using your chuck and turned rod as a drill guide.
Drill a hole in the turned rod and lock it in the tool rest so that the drill bit is lined up on the clock face on center and at the desired diameter. Then mount the bit in a drill an drill 12 holes.

Glue your cartridges into the holes
I would for the rustic look think about milk paint for the rings and center a light sanding will reveal some wood underneath. Could even use red for the center. If you use a wood like cherry or sapeli , milk paint will react with it so that it wood will look like bronze where the milk paint is cut back.

For a crisp formal look paint the whole surface with black gesso let it dry the turn the white areas away. This will leave crisp black circles and the white space can be natural wood and finished as rough or smooth as you wish.

The holes can be the left as is, filled with dowel turned flush, filled with button with a tenon on the back side.
Larger hole or buttons can be used for 12,3,6,9

You can also. Use the flat rest concept as a table to slide a small carver, router, die grinder on and carve lines for the number. Then you could glue the cartridges sideways.

Fishing lures, flies, Arrow parts, buck shot, bulletts might also be incorporated.
Turn and paint some oversized poppers for numbers
Use #1 to #12 hooks. -:)
Turn and paint your bullets.
You can turn arrow heads too - glue 3 pieces of wood together with paper joints turn the arrowhead profile split the glue joints the center piece is the arrow head.

If you have access to a sandblaster that provide another set of options.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Hockenbery, many thanks for the detailed information. Memory isn't what it used to be. I'll copy and paste it to Word for reference. Memory isn't what it used to be. John has been most helpful over the years with woodturning and photography which was his profession at my son's alma mater.
Edit- Could you give more detail on sandblasting? My son should have access to one at his work.
You have given me many ideas to modify the original theme. Again, thanks.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Could you give more detail on sandblasting? My son should have access to one at his work.
You have given me many ideas to modify the original theme.

I think there are thousands of ways to implement your theme.

This prototype of a box top insert about 4” diameter shows what sandblasting with a resist does CAF7D11B-94F3-4103-A3F3-2AFA1D3E3F94.jpeg The natural wood is blasted with course ground glass (25-40 grit) the pink wing patterns is blasted with fine glass beads (170-325 grit). There is still a little resist adhesive on the letters.

Sand carving could take weeks to cover. I will send you a note. An article I wrote appeared In the AAW journal December 2016gives a good overview. I have also done a few demos for clubs, SWAT, AAW, FWS.

Slides I use in demos give a quick overview.
http://swat.hockenbery.net/SWAT Sandcarving.pdf

This short video clip of sand carving a painted disk part of a demo for Tri-County woodturners
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HPtoI3Z5A

Last edited:
John, an old 60 tooth 10" saw blade makes a great indexing plate for use on a bench. All kinds of ways to center a piece to the hole in the blade or to index to the teeth of the blade.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes I've seen that. However I often do my indexing, the glue in the parts and then turn it without removing the index wheel. Don't think I would do that on a saw blade. Plus you have to rig up someway to attach the saw blade to your lathe. Most lathes don't have a 5/8" arbor.

Hi John, my saw blade suggestion was for use strictly on the bench which I thought was mentioned in one of the posts. No, it would not be too safe on the lathe itself. Geo.

Back