• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum chuck

I'm using a hold fast vacuum chuck system, and find the seal with the small tube they come with is lacking; I'm wondering if switching systems to something like a set up from frugal vacuum pumps, or oneway would help my problem.I'm not really a fan of running the compressor every few minutes either.

What GRJensen said. If I ever get around to making another chuck for mine, that's the way I'd go.

I also think a pump is a better solution than venturi. The Frugal pumps are rated for continuous duty, which is nice, but you would be trading intermittent noise for continuous noise (but probably quieter).

But what troubles are you actually having with your "seal"?

re-reading the original post, I'm wondering if you're planning to replace the whole ssystem or just looking to replace the threaded tube through the spindle with another system. Don't know what make your lathe is, but I'm using the older JT Turning atools adapter that has double o-rings that seal to the spindle. There's never been a leak. I think Robust offers a knock-off of the JT adapter since the owner Tom passed a while back.
Going to a pump rather than venturi system is also a major upgrade in reliable vacuum and less noise (at least in my case), as are chucks using sched 40 fittings and the Rubber Chucky seals. Been using these components for well over a decade now with great results.

What GRJensen said. If I ever get around to making another chuck for mine, that's the way I'd go.

I also think a pump is a better solution than venturi. The Frugal pumps are rated for continuous duty, which is nice, but you would be trading intermittent noise for continuous noise (but probably quieter).

They are too thin and get little indents in them; causing leaks

Full disclosure here ... with the dust collector running, my overhead air filter running, and tunes playing in my earbuds, the Frugal pump is quiet as a mouse! All kidding aside, my pump runs very quiet and is barely noticeable.

One of our club members lived next door to a guy who had an appliance store and stripped the vacuum pumps from refrigerators and dehumidifiers. They were made available to our club for free. I made a lot of vacuum systems for club members from these pumps for $30 or $40 dependent on part prices. I am still using the first one I made some 15 years ago. It still pulls about 25 Hg and is very very quiet.

I never liked the rims on the Holdfast chucks. I prefer the rounded edges of the Oneway, which I currently use. Rubber Chucky makes great rim seals.
I'm running a Gast and Frugal system. Both are great, the Frugal is quieter because it has a muffler.

Back