• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Valentines Day Challenge?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Great idea. Let me work on that, or I should say, let me tell @Bill Boehme to work on that. :)

I'm still trying to find that "round tuit" that I misplaced somewhere. If I could just stay away from doctors and hospitals for a while. That was my New Year's resolution, but I blew that one in just three days. And, my wife and I got COVID for the second time in a year as a result of being in a crowded ER waiting room. The first time was also acquired in a hospital waiting room.

I had great plans for a December challenge and then a January challenge. I think that a Valentine's Day challenge is a great idea and I'm glad that Emiliano volunteered me for that. I need to find a way to properly thank him. I will try to get the February challenge posted tonight.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I've been to the ER twice in the past week. This stuff is starting to wear me down. I went to bed early last night so I didn't get a chance to work on the Valentine's turning challenge, but it is pretty straightforward. Let's expand the entries' dates to pieces completed this year. Sometimes it is difficult to say when a project was actually started. Was it:
  • when you first started thinking about it
  • when you cut down the tree
  • when you cut it to a round blank on the bandsaw
  • when you found it beside the road
  • when you discovered an abandoned project from twenty years ago in a vermin-infested corner of your shed
  • when you first mounted it on your lathe
  • when you won it at a WoW swap
  • All of the above

I've been to the ER twice in the past week. This stuff is starting to wear me down. I went to bed early last night so I didn't get a chance to work on the Valentine's turning challenge, but it is pretty straightforward. Let's expand the entries' dates to pieces completed this year. Sometimes it is difficult to say when a project was actually started. Was it:
  • when you first started thinking about it
  • when you cut down the tree
  • when you cut it to a round blank on the bandsaw
  • when you found it beside the road
  • when you discovered an abandoned project from twenty years ago in a vermin-infested corner of your shed
  • when you first mounted it on your lathe
  • when you won it at a WoW swap
  • All of the above
? When would the deadline for entries be say 2/14/24?

With Valentines day just around the corner are we going to have a new challenge?
As the winner of the last challenge I submit a project I made for my wife to get things going.
Sycamore and Walnut dyed with ink and finished with friction polish and Tried and True. Lasered rose into the bottom of the cover. Measures around 5 x 5.
View attachment 59642
I think a heart is a good Valentine's Day target.

Attachments

• smallFeathers.jpg
    smallFeathers.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 13
Back