• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vance Stringham

Greetings everyone. I’m brand new to turning, and woodworking in general for that matter. My wife started a laser business (wood engraving, cutting, etc) in 2020. I help her with designing products and cut files. About the same time I developed an interest in wood turning. I started by watching several wood turners who regularly post videos on a streaming platform. Watching their techniques, errors, wins, and just trying to glean information. I decided I wanted to try it first hand and quickly learned it would be far cheaper to take up a professional cat rodeo tour. Then, earlier this year I was lucky enough to find a Jet JML-1014 with tools and accessories at an auction. Aside from some light surface rust on the bed it’s in excellent shape. Tools appear to be lower end but will work as an introductory set. My first and, to date, only work was to turn a rectangle stick into a round stick. I’ll call it a win. I picked up a variable speed grinder and a sharpening jig but still can’t properly sharpen a tool to save my life. Just the same, I am undaunted and know I have a good set of basics to start with and I just need to make the time to be in the shop and learn by doing. I’d like to get good enough to start offering turned items along side the “lasered” products. I’m here to listen and learn. Pictures of my lathe and such below. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I should add my youngest (22) is trying his hand at it as well. He has several hours turning now but otherwise just as new as I.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3311.jpeg
    IMG_3311.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3312.jpeg
    IMG_3312.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 23
Welcome, Vance. There's a lot to learn. I started my own journey early this year so the struggles are still fresh in my mind. A few pointers:
  • Learn your tools and when they should be used. On spindles you would use a roughing gouge, spindle gouge, skew, etc. For bowls it will be bowl gouges primarily.
  • As you alluded to, tool sharpening is difficult at first, but critical. Watch some videos on the use of the specific sharpening jig you have.
  • Understand the various methods of attaching your work to the lathe (spur center, chuck, faceplate).
That's sort of the tip of the iceberg. It's daunting, but it's an incredible hobby to learn. Everyone has their favorite sites, but I have found www.turnawoodbowl.com to be a great resource. They have lots of free videos (on the site and on youtube) and some paid courses if you want to go that route.

Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
Welcome Vance. I will repeat what Gerald said because it's some of the best advice you can get. Find a turning club, preferably an AAW Chapter. Also, watch YouTube videos skeptically. Many of them are great, but there are some that are just plain dangerous. Come back here for corroboration if you have any doubts.

Thanks Gerald. Yes, I hit it with some lubricant spray and used some fine steel wool to get most of it off. Then I put a lot coat of 3:1 oil on it. It glides pretty well now. I need to put a little more work into it but it’s looking good. Same with the tools. I need to clean those up and learn how to properly sharpen.

Welcome to the forum. To start you might want to get the rust off the lathe bedways, it will make your life much easier. Also look for a turning club as they will give you a jump on videos with the opportunity to ask in person.

Thanks Rick. I will. I am a skeptic by nature so I understand what you’re saying. I’d prefer to avoid needing to unlearn bad habits and techniques as well as retain all phalanges and both eyes in original working condition all while avoiding new scars on my body in general. I’m starting slow knowing I have everything to learn.

Welcome Vance. I will repeat what Gerald said because it's some of the best advice you can get. Find a turning club, preferably an AAW Chapter. Also, watch YouTube videos skeptically. Many of them are great, but there are some that are just plain dangerous. Come back here for corroboration if you have any doubts.

Back