• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Versaflow mistery solved

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Last week while I was turning Lychee, Hawaii's most dense wood, I kept feeling tiny chips hitting me in the face, bouncing around the helmet. I examined the helmet, did not see anything strange or how the chips were getting in. I even had my son observe me while I was turning. He helped me clean the inside, we blew off the chips, then we checked again, and sure enough, I had chips, I wasn't crazy. Can you guess how the chips were getting in?
Well, I will tell you how.
I'm guessing that from adjusting the chin bib, not sure what you call it, the bib came off just a little off the rails, close to my ear. I was a bit embarrassed that it took me a while to see it. Maybe now if it happens to you, you know what's going on.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for the tip, Emiliano. I hope that my memory will be good enough to remember this when I'm 99. If I understand correctly I think that you are referring to the jaw piece. The Versaflo M-400 series is the only headgear with the jaw piece. You can remove it to convert it to a M-300 series hardhat, but then it is necessary to do additional changes to seal around the neck.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thanks for the tip, Emiliano. I hope that my memory will be good enough to remember this when I'm 99. If I understand correctly I think that you are referring to the jaw piece. The Versaflo M-400 series is the only headgear with the jaw piece. You can remove it to convert it to a M-300 series hardhat, but then it is necessary to do additional changes to seal around the neck.
Correct, the jaw piece!

Thanks, Emiliano. I just started using an M300 series and, like Bill, I'll try to remember this when something similar happens to me. Back in my professional life we used to call this kind of info "Operating Experience". Very helpful. Need more of it.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thanks, Emiliano. I just started using an M300 series and, like Bill, I'll try to remember this when something similar happens to me. Back in my professional life we used to call this kind of info "Operating Experience". Very helpful. Need more of it.
I debated a while to post it or not, a bit embarrassing, a duh moment, but, I figured it happened to me, it can happen to someone else.

Back