• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc Chucks 5" or 5 1/2"

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Got a question. I am looking to buy a new chuck and I am thinking Vicmarc. My question may be dumb but I am confused. I know about the 5" VM120 vicmarc chuck and have heard great things about it. This is the one i as going to order then my craftsupply catalog came along an they show a 5 1/2" vicmarc chuck. Only model number listed is the craftsupply item number. What is the diffrence beside the obvious 1/2"? The concern is that the 5 1/2" seems to be a newer model but they list less jaw options for it. Does anyone know if the 5" jaws will fit the 5 1/2" chuck and what, if any, is the diffrence in the chucks? HELP!!!

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Great chuck

That's a great pick, I have several Axminster chucks so unfortunately can't answer your question but suggest, if you don't get an answer here, call Roger Durst at Craft Supply 1-800-398-2743, he's their senior tech, they have the absolute best customer service out there and I'm sure he has the answers and will take the time to speak with you.

Mike

I wouldn't bet money on it but I think you are talking about the same chuck. I know the VM120 as the 5 1/2" chuck. The chuck is made in Australia and is metric.

M

mkart

Tommy Bars

I use the large Vicmarc with the tommy bars and love it. I ordered one, along with a lathe, after seeing it at the 2005 symposium and have not been disapointed. Very fast and easy to operate, easier if you have a spindle lock. Good luck with your new chuck.

Matt

Website
www.beyondbark.com
penmaker said:
I wouldn't bet money on it but I think you are talking about the same chuck. I know the VM120 as the 5 1/2" chuck. The chuck is made in Australia and is metric.

You are correct. I called both companies and they are both talking about the VM120. Same size. Thanks for all the help.

robert davis said:
i have tommy bar chucks and key operated chucks. iwould hever buy another tommy bar chuck! bob davis

I could not agree more. My current one has tommy bars and i can't wait to get my new VM120.

Vicmarc Chucks

I have the VM120 as well and talon and a supernova2 chuck. I prefer the vicmarc because it operates very smoothly and probable has the largest supply of jaws. I find I use the 1 3/4" shark jaws most and am planning on getting the 1 3/8" shark jaws. I had the talon first and like them of smaller projects and holding square turning blanks, but the vicmarc with shark jaws can't be beat (except maybe with a faceplate) for holding large vessels.

Vernon

I have a pair of 120's; they're great chucks.

Have to disagree with Vernon, however, about the Shark jaws. Bought them (1-3/4") hoping they'd do as well as the Oneway No. 2's I had on my old Talon; very disappointed in the Sharks and they sit in the drawer. Had trouble getting them to seat and stay seated on the tenon as they seem prone to being effected by variable densities in the wood.

Have switched to DT jaws (large and small dia.) because they hold alignment better and truer, and holding the workpiece closer to the chuck and the headstock reduces transmitted vibration for a smoother cut.

Anybody wants to buy a set of 1-3/4" Vic 120 Sharks, $40.00 plus 1st class mail in the Lower 48.

m

My first chuck was the original Oneway (tommy bars)
2nd chuck was the Talon (t-handle).
When it came time to buy a big chuck, I went with tommy bars, or should I say tommy bar. My lathe has a spindle lock so I only have to use one tommy bar. As an added bonus, the wood worm screw from the Oneway chucks fit my VM140.
The body diameter of the VM140 is slightly larger than the VM120. The VM120 sticks out a little further from the headstock than the VM140.

Attachments

• vm140_small.jpg
    vm140_small.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Website
www.la-truciolara.com
cypher said:
Got a question. I am looking to buy a new chuck and I am thinking Vicmarc. My question may be dumb but I am confused. I know about the 5" VM120 vicmarc chuck and have heard great things about it. This is the one i as going to order then my craftsupply catalog came along an they show a 5 1/2" vicmarc chuck. Only model number listed is the craftsupply item number. What is the diffrence beside the obvious 1/2"? The concern is that the 5 1/2" seems to be a newer model but they list less jaw options for it. Does anyone know if the 5" jaws will fit the 5 1/2" chuck and what, if any, is the diffrence in the chucks? HELP!!!
There are 4 Vicmarc chucks and I’m afraid there is not a 5 and a 5 ½ chuck.
The four chucks are:
VM 90 and VM 140 – Tommy bar operated
VM 100 and VM 120 – T-bar Allen key operated.

The jaws available for the VM 90 fit the VM 100, while those available for the VM 120 fit the VM 140

You can have all details at http://www.vicmarc.com/

Last edited:
Tommy bars

I have both types of chucks and I believe that with tommy bars I can get a firmer grip.

I've even used a mallet to tap one of the bars.

I realize this is not usually important but sometimes a tenon is soft.
Regards,

Website
www.turnrobust.com
They're really about 5 5/16

As others have stated, the 120's and 140's are the same diameter, and my 120 is pretty close to just under 5 5/16"

Problem is rounding the metric size to inches. Some folks call em 5", others 5 1/2"

Jaws for the 120's and 140's are interchangeable. 120 uses a 10mm hex key (provided with the chuck), 140 uses Tommy bars

Same paradigm holds true for the 90 and 100, but they are about 3 1/2" in diameter and the 90 is the Tommy Bar model, the 100 uses the key.

They are great chucks. What I like about them is that the back is covered so that dust doesn't get into the mechanism, and if you loose the hex key in the chips, you can get another at the hardware store.

I had a Delta Midi and bought a VM100 (3.5 in. roughly with t-bar hex key) to use on it, and loved it. Bought a second one after buying my Jet 1642 just to avoid changing out jaws as often for some complex projects. A friend loaned me a larger VM140 with the tommy bars for a project, what a PITA in my opinion. At Lex this summer I bought a VM120 with the hex key in the CSUSA booth from Mr. Vick himself. What a great guy (and salesman after loading up on various jaws)! I have used others but none compare in quality and grip with the VM's in my opinion. I know some like the tommy bars and I guess it is what you get used to, but I'll take hex key anyday.

Back