• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vince Catalano

Hi AAW Members,
I've always been interested in woodworking but always thought woodturning was some mysterious art. It wasn't until someone invented the internet, and people felt compelled to post video tutorials on YouTube that I finally sidled up to an old 1976 Rockwell lathe. After a couple of years of vibrating that thing across the garage floor, I upgraded to a Jet1840 lathe. Thanks to all of you, I am slowly getting better. I now cut more and sand less. I spend way too much money on tools, but now very few pieces fly off the lathe. Unfortunately, I am constantly playing with finishes. I am sure the perfect answer is out there somewhere. For some reason I seem to be drawn to bowls and the occasional platter. I've attached a couple of pics of Christmas bowls that got sent out this year and last year.

The last couple of years has been fun, and I greatly appreciate all of the advice the experts on this site offer. One of these days I'll muster the courage to attend a workshop or take a lesson. Until then, I will keep pestering you all for advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3819.jpg
    IMG_3819.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 21
Howdy and welcome from Texas! From the photos it looks like you will fit right in.

Back