• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

July 2021 Turning Challenge — Turn an Egg (+ Vote & Results)

Vote for your favorite egg. This poll is open to all forum members (not just the eggheads).

• Ed Davidson, post #4

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Lou Jacobs, post #8

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Michael Nathal, post #11

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Darrell Stokes, post #20

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Brian Gustin, post #21

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Bernie Hrytzak, posts #22, #23, and #28

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Don Rabchenuk, post #25, #26, and 27

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The egg turning contest for July has ended and now it is time for forum members to select their favorite. You get only one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight CDST on July 31, 2021 ... although a quirk in the poll software states the oddball ending time of 2:17 AM on August 1. In the future, we will use UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, in the distant past it was known as GMT, -- Greenwich Mean Time) since we have forum members all around the world. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual smoke-filled room to sort out the pecking order.

Everybody knows what an egg looks like ... they come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors so there is no precise formula for the shape of an egg. Nevertheless turning an egg requires careful attention to form. We all know when a turned egg looks "right" and if you're feeling really brave include a real egg in the photo of your turned egg (you get extra points if I can't tell which one is the real egg :D ). Let your creative juices flow and don't be afraid to think outside the shell. Post your egg pictures in this thread. The period for submitting your egg photos runs from Thursday, July 1 through Friday, July 23 (US CDST dates). After that, all forum members will vote on their favorite. You only get one vote and if you submitted an entry you are allowed to vote for your own egg.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Any particular size of egg?
Must be anything from hummingbird to ostrich. Sorry, no dinosaur, snake, lizard, turtle, fish, or platypus eggs. And, I don't think that Fabergé is a species of bird so we'll have to leave Fabergé eggs for another time.

Must be anything from hummingbird to ostrich. Sorry, no dinosaur, snake, lizard, turtle, fish, or platypus eggs. And, I don't think that Fabergé is a species of bird so we'll have to leave Fabergé eggs for another time.
What's going on here are the rules being made on the fly :cool:, I suppose that the next thing to be barred is the eggs from the honoree MN state bird (mosquito)! The opening of this thread didn't say bird eggs only so I thought I would make a snapping turtle egg, which are almost spherical and about 25 MM in diameter.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
What's going on here are the rules being made on the fly :cool:, I suppose that the next thing to be barred is the eggs from the honoree MN state bird (mosquito)! The opening of this thread didn't say bird eggs only so I thought I would make a snapping turtle egg, which are almost spherical and about 25 MM in diameter.

Yeah, I'm just winging it, but squawking about my flighty rule changes is just water off a duck's back to me. Yolking aside, If you want to turn a pterodactyl egg, technically speaking it could be considered an "early bird".

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Honey locust is a bird? You gonna get in trouble with Bill :)

I checked the Peterson's Bird Guide and sure enough there is a Honey Locust songbird only found in the vicinity of Strongsville, Ohio and is famous for the seven inch long eggs it lays. ;)

Great work, Michael. Turning an egg that huge isn't easy. Beautiful high gloss finish.

Alrighty then, I was not going to say anything. Disclaimer, I'm no where near home so can't even thunk about trying to do/post one. .....
Egg shaped.... I have raised a couple thousand chickens over the past decade or so and have had totally round eggs, seriously oblong eggs, some I swear were attempts at a figure 8 egg and many-many oddball shapes. Can I paint a golf ball chocolate (yes, I've had hens that laid very dark redish-brown eggs... LOL). Even have blue and green egg layers at da moment... LOL Sorry, guess you had to be there... hehehehehe

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Alrighty then, I was not going to say anything. Disclaimer, I'm no where near home so can't even thunk about trying to do/post one. .....
Egg shaped.... I have raised a couple thousand chickens over the past decade or so and have had totally round eggs, seriously oblong eggs, some I swear were attempts at a figure 8 egg and many-many oddball shapes. Can I paint a golf ball chocolate (yes, I've had hens that laid very dark redish-brown eggs... LOL). Even have blue and green egg layers at da moment... LOL Sorry, guess you had to be there... hehehehehe

No yolking, I've also seen double yolk eggs. We've had chickens try to hatch ceramic doorknobs. I've seen chicken eggs of all sorts of pastel colors, but I've never seen one dimpled like a golf ball ... were the dimples round or hexagonal? And, did they have a Titleist logo?

Alas, no logo but I have had them with small dimple like holes. More calcium added to their diet, or short trip to crockpot would cure it… lol, sorry, we’ll return to the bat channel now.

Back