• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wahuda lathe?

Hi folks,
I currently have a Rikon 70-1218vs lathe and I’m mostly happy with it. It is 3/4 hp, variable speed across three belt settings, and 12” capacity for bowls etc.

I’m now running into some projects for which I wish I had a little more powerful motor, and I would like to have both reverse and a little more swing capacity.

I’ve been searching Facebook marketplace for a while to see what’s out there with a little more hp, a little more swing capacity and reverse. I’ve looked at the offerings from Rikon, Jet, Shop Fox, Grizzly etc. Laguna lathes are great but well out of my price range unfortunately.

I gather from online reviews and comments to stay away from units with Reeve’s drive as well as any whose minimum rpm speed is too high. I don’t need an outboard turning option and have read it may be difficult to return lathes with outboard turning to its primary position. I’ve seen a lot more negative comments about Grizzly than the rest. I have not seen many comments at all about Delta lathes anywhere.

In my research I recently stumbled upon a brand I had never heard of before, Wahuda. They mostly sell planers and jointers.

They only sell one wood lathe, model 60170ML-WHD, a 14” swing model with a 1hp AC motor with electronic variable speed and “inverter technology…to keep constant torque at various speed settings.” It also has reverse and a corded magnetic on/off/speed control switch that can be placed anywhere on the lathe. Retail price comes in around $1,000.
F68F98FF-0FA2-41D9-9D4E-0EF99080F006.jpeg752D8A8B-3F27-4A45-A0C4-243302C56874.jpeg
I haven’t found any other brands/models sold in America that offer this set of options at this price point. However I can’t find out much about this particular lathe brand/model or reviews on it.

The unit might(?) be the same as the Axminster Trade AT350WL sold in England but I haven’t yet found anyone else selling this model lathe in the US. The Axminster lathe gets pretty good / solid reviews on their site.

Does anyone have any personal experience with or general knowledge of this particular lathe brand, Wahuda? Any reason to avoid it?

Take a look at the Nova 14dr. Can be had for $699. I have had one for about 3 years now and it has been trouble free. I have on order a Nova Neptune that is 15" with a DVR motor that is going to be a game changer in the midi market (cost is a little more than you are probably interested in at the moment).

Brian I don’t have any knowledge of that brand lathe. It may be a good lathe or maybe not so good. You may also decide even 14” swing is not enough. Since that brand is relatively unknown I think you would loose a lot more money vs a know brand trying to resell. Give it some time and I would agree with Odie’s advice.

The Wahuda looks like a toy. I'm accustomed to much more substantial machines. There is no reason to avoid Reeves drives - (not sure where you've been reading). And regarding “inverter technology…to keep constant torque at various speed settings.”, that's nothing but a VFD. I get a kick out of marketing speak...the fact that torque is constant is simply an inherent characteristic of a VFD-driven motor up to its rated speed; the downside is that torque doesn't increase as speed goes down, as a mechanical reduction does.

Tim

Agree with Odie on this since 1hp isn’t much of a jump in hp.

Suggest checking with turning clubs in the area, Facebook marketplace or Craigslist for a bigger used lathe. Also keep an eye for estate sales in your area for any that have wood shops on Estatesales.net.

A good friend got a Shop Fox, and sent it back. Shall we say, way too many things wrong with it. If you are considering selling, then you need a bigger lathe. Find a club and ask there. Some one is always upgrading, or there are estate sales also. Even if the club is too far away, they may have a used lathe for sale that would make it worth the drive. I figure for serious bowl work, 1 1/2 hp, 220 volt, variable speed, and 16 inch swing. Jet does have sales a couple of times a year....

robo hippy

I’ve looked at this lathe and I think the specs are good. The motor is 1hp 3-phase, which will run circles around a DC or single phase motor. There isn’t much info out there on it, but there is on the Axminster AP350WL, which I believe is the same lathe: https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-professional-ap350wl-woodturning-lathe-230v-107655
My Wahuda 8” bench top planer has not given me any trouble at all.
Ok thanks for your input Kevin. I honestly thought maybe this make and model might be a diamond in the rough, a hidden gem. I’ve been impressed with the stats on it since I first stumbled upon it. Will it compete with a floor model Laguna, Vicmarc, Oneway or Powermatic? No, of course not, but that’s not the market segment it’s competing against. Among the competitors’ large bench top midi models with comparable specs I think it has them beat on price by 1/3 to 1/2.

But I’m really just an internet jockey. I don’t have the hands on experience to make the call.

Hi folks,
I currently have a Rikon 70-1218vs lathe and I’m mostly happy with it. It is 3/4 hp, variable speed across three belt settings, and 12” capacity for bowls etc.

I’m now running into some projects for which I wish I had a little more powerful motor, and I would like to have both reverse and a little more swing capacity.

I’ve been searching Facebook marketplace for a while to see what’s out there with a little more hp, a little more swing capacity and reverse. I’ve looked at the offerings from Rikon, Jet, Shop Fox, Grizzly etc. Laguna lathes are great but well out of my price range unfortunately.

I gather from online reviews and comments to stay away from units with Reeve’s drive as well as any whose minimum rpm speed is too high. I don’t need an outboard turning option and have read it may be difficult to return lathes with outboard turning to its primary position. I’ve seen a lot more negative comments about Grizzly than the rest. I have not seen many comments at all about Delta lathes anywhere.

In my research I recently stumbled upon a brand I had never heard of before, Wahuda. They mostly sell planers and jointers.

They only sell one wood lathe, model 60170ML-WHD, a 14” swing model with a 1hp AC motor with electronic variable speed and “inverter technology…to keep constant torque at various speed settings.” It also has reverse and a corded magnetic on/off/speed control switch that can be placed anywhere on the lathe. Retail price comes in around $1,000.
View attachment 51384View attachment 51385
I haven’t found any other brands/models sold in America that offer this set of options at this price point. However I can’t find out much about this particular lathe brand/model or reviews on it.

The unit might(?) be the same as the Axminster Trade AT350WL sold in England but I haven’t yet found anyone else selling this model lathe in the US. The Axminster lathe gets pretty good / solid reviews on their site.

Does anyone have any personal experience with or general knowledge of this particular lathe brand, Wahuda? Any reason to avoid it?
I too agree with Odie's wise advice. If you greatly enjoy turning and progress with your skills there will come a time when you will want to upgrade to a substantial and precision piece of machinery. You're likely to decide that your current decision to buy a "pretty good" lathe will no longer satisfy your needs. Wait a bit, turn a lot and improve your skills. If the urge to upgrade is still there, aim for one of the best even if it means patiently waiting for a good used one.

Have to agree with others - dont think you would be happy with a relatively small incremental step. Use the time it takes to save up some $ to better determine what you want in your next lathe. Finding a club or other turners with different equipment really helps that process.

I find a 16” swing lathe is adequate for my needs. I dont do large architectural work (tho I can go to 29” outboard). I find 14” finished OD to be plenty large for interior home use of bowls, platters, etc, and the occasional larger piece can be done outboard. I like having a “full length” lathe (44” c-c) for deeper hollow forms and a hollowing rig as well as occasional longish stuff. I say this just to give you some idea on lathe sizing.

One other thought--that lathe is a 'midi' style, all right, and it's not substantial enough to handle what you could put on a 14" lathe. In reality, it can only handle the same stuff you're able to do now.

Take a look at the Nova 14dr. Can be had for $699. I have had one for about 3 years now and it has been trouble free. I have on order a Nova Neptune that is 15" with a DVR motor that is going to be a game changer in the midi market (cost is a little more than you are probably interested in at the moment).
A refurbished Nova 1624 can be purchased from Teknatool for $1,050 at their Florida warehouse only, no shipping.

I wonder what kind of trouble they had that they have a number of refurbished units for sale at discount. Regardless it seems like a good price for a floor model 16” lathe.

Last edited:
Apparently the Wahuda 14” lathe is the same unit as the Axminster Trade AT350 WL, which they previously labeled the Axminster Trade AT1416vs.

These models from Axminster received very good reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with these Axminster models?

Apparently the Wahuda 14” lathe is the same unit as the Axminster Trade AT350 WL, which they previously labeled the Axminster Trade AT1416vs.

These models from Axminster received very good reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with these Axminster models?
I just heard back from Wahuda. They verified that their lathe is identical to the Axminster 350 lathes, made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer to the same general specs.

I just heard back from Wahuda. They verified that their lathe is identical to the Axminster 350 lathes, made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer to the same general specs.
If that’s indeed the case, I suspect this lathe represents one of the best unsung bargains in the American midi lathe market.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Odie's advice is very wise. Having gone thru three lathes myself, I wish I would have waited.

 But, if you really want a lathe now, there is also this new lathe that came out on the market not to long ago. It has been tested by Craft Supplies USA's Mike Nish and he really likes the features on it. 1 inch tool post, nice locking handles, powerful motor, etc. Guy in the review said it was an upgrade from his Rikon. Price is $999.

Here is the link

I don’t need an outboard turning option and have read it may be difficult to return lathes with outboard turning to its primary position.

Don’t you think “outgrowing” lathe capacity will happen again? It’s very easy to return my Galaxi back to center aligned position. Even my HF lathe would return close enough. Many times folks make wau too big of a deal about this - it can be meaningful in certain situations, and most times there is a way around those situations.

Spending some time with more experienced turners, through a club or otherwise, would be time well spent during this phase of your turning journey. You will find they have different opinions, ie many ways to skin the cat. It should give insight into various project processing as well as different size projects that you find interesting - insight to a future you havent yet considered.

But, if you really want a lathe now, there is also this new lathe that came out on the market not to long ago. It has been tested by Craft Supplies USA's Mike Nish and he really likes the features on it. 1 inch tool post, nice locking handles, powerful motor, etc. Guy in the review said it was an upgrade from his Rikon. Price is $999.

Here is the link

If you don't mind different paint, here is what looks like the exact same machine from Grizzly for $725:

Seems a lot of money and trouble for 1/4 of a horsepower, I doubt you will even notice it.. The 1420 Rikon at least has a 1-1/2hp motor, it's a couple hundred more than what you're looking at, but at least you're getting something. Still playing in the same league though. I think i'd hold off untill I could step up to an overall better machine.

Because I share wood shop workspace with my landlord I’m limited to something that can mounted to my bench top:
83F491FA-6C23-4C5A-95EA-7E2E61BB7602.jpeg
Right now I’m also looking at the Record Power Coronet Herald lathe.

It is a 14” swing 1hp midi that comes in at $1200, but it has a rotating headstock that can turn outboard up to 21” bowls.

24B44F73-8C9F-4083-9BA8-9C8FE25921DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
Because I share wood shop workspace with my landlord I’m limited to something that can mounted to my bench top:
View attachment 51880
Right now I’m also looking at the Record Power Coronet Herald lathe.

It is a 14” swing 1hp midi that comes in at $1200, but it has a rotating headstock that can turn outboard up to 21” bowls.

View attachment 51881
Do you have a budget? If not, there are two great benchtop lathes that are more powerful and have excellent quality! Both don't NEED a stand.
Robust Scout
Vicmarc VL150 V2 EVS

Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Do you have a budget? If not, there are two great benchtop lathes that are more powerful and have excellent quality!
Robust Scout
Vicmarc VL150 V2 EVS
There's also the Harvey T-40 Turbo which I keep getting tempted to get one, but it isn't my "last" lathe (meaning the last one I ever buy knowing what I want to achieve on a lathe) so..

If you don't mind different paint, here is what looks like the exact same machine from Grizzly for $725:

With shipping the price comes in almost the same as the Wahuda with shipping. The Wahuda has VFR motor control and a slightly larger spindle. Axminster advertises its same lathe as the Wahuda as a professional grade lathe.

If more power is what you want and are limited to a benchtop and $1200, the Rikon 1420 is 1-1/2hp and right at $1200. I haven't seen anything any bigger.

I'm brand new at this woodturning thing but I'm going to guess that if you want to turn a 21" bowl with a 1hp lathe you better have some time on your hands.

The Wahuda does look compelling in the price range, but I wouldn't be swayed by stuff like this:

Axminster advertises its same lathe as the Wahuda as a professional grade lathe.

A seller can market something as whatever "grade" it would like to but I can count on one hand the number of professionals that work on a mini lathe.

The Wahuda does look compelling in the price range, but I wouldn't be swayed by stuff like this:

A seller can market something as whatever "grade" it would like to but I can count on one hand the number of professionals that work on a mini lathe.
I’m under the impression mini lathes are less than 3/4hp and less than 12” swing. If so, this is a midi, not a mini. Maybe a distinction without merit, I’ll admit.

If more power is what you want and are limited to a benchtop and $1200, the Rikon 1420 is 1-1/2hp and right at $1200. I haven't seen anything any bigger.

I'm brand new at this woodturning thing but I'm going to guess that if you want to turn a 21" bowl with a 1hp lathe you better have some time on your hands.
I’m not planning on turning bowls. But that could change…

Last edited:
Midi vs. mini is pretty much a made up distinction for marketing. I've been at this long enough to remember when there wasn't such a thing as a "midi" lathe and I haven't been at it nearly as long as some here :)

No that you have provided info about situation limitations - always helpful to provide as much info as possible - my pick in that situation would be a Nova Neptune, the most powerful motor in the class. Yes it is in early release “beta” stage. The motor drive/control system has been proven over ~20 years in lathes and drill presses.

No that you have provided info about situation limitations - always helpful to provide as much info as possible - my pick in that situation would be a Nova Neptune, the most powerful motor in the class. Yes it is in early release “beta” stage. The motor drive/control system has been proven over ~20 years in lathes and drill presses.

Yes, thanks, I’m very seriously considering this. But it’s well above my upper price range so I don’t know if I can swing it.

The only way I could afford it is if I sold my antique Barnes 4 1/2 velocipede lathe. I’m willing to sell it, and have it listed on FB Marketplace, but only if I get a really good offer because I really do like it.

Hi folks,

The Nova seems to fit the bill pretty well, never used it though so I can't comment on it. I do have a Rikon 1420 which is very similar in specs to the Nova but with an inch less swing and two inches more length. Also three speed as opposed to direct drive. This morning I am turning a piece of dry Ash about 11-1/2" diameter, taking reasonably heavy cuts and even out at the edge of the piece the lathe is holding its speed. I'm sure I could stall it if I wanted to but it doesn't seem to be working terribly hard.IMG_5297.JPG

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I would second @Doug Freeman recommendation of the Nova Neptune. It has a powerful motor, gives you a bigger swing than others, rotating headstock, and the spindle size is the same as many larger lathes. So, if you upgrade again in the future, you can use your existing drive tools (chucks, faceplates, etc…). It’s only a few hundred bucks more than the wahuda. Can you just save for a little while longer? Alternatively, maybe you can crank out some quality pieces in your existing large and sell them.

I would second @Doug Freeman recommendation of the Nova Neptune. It has a powerful motor, gives you a bigger swing than others, rotating headstock, and the spindle size is the same as many larger lathes. So, if you upgrade again in the future, you can use your existing drive tools (chucks, faceplates, etc…). It’s only a few hundred bucks more than the wahuda. Can you just save for a little while longer? Alternatively, maybe you can crank out some quality pieces in your existing large and sell them.
The early bird beta model units are being shipped in April. That beta price is the only way I could afford one. I suspect when they’re released in August they’ll be close to or above $2000. So I need to do it right now and swinging that now is very difficult.

Interestingly, even though I’ve only been using a lathe since October and never planned to sell anything, I’m already getting commissions and what people are willing to pay and encouraging me to charge is mind boggling.

I’m currently working on a cherry kitchen utensil canister with two cherry spatulas and two cooking spoons, for a friend of a friend. She insisted on paying twice what I would have asked for the set.
844CEF22-07DF-495F-9DA1-77BBDD965C58.jpeg

Another guy wanted three of my kitchen scoops that have a second axis elevated scoop handle (versus a traditional wood turned kitchen dry goods scoop). Again, he insisted on paying twice what I would have asked.
56D64200-EBF1-48D4-991D-52D76F992503.jpeg

Another friend asked me for the cherry canister and utensils set, as well as three elevated handle kitchen scoops. She’s paying what the first two offered.

And I’ve gotten numerous requests for my cigar ashtray design:
1441B519-0D2B-46E2-BEBA-C61426261567.jpegE02D33B8-C379-4129-B710-D50C72D3B2D6.jpeg
Otherwise I could never justify upgrading from my Rikon right now.

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Ah, I see. Well shoot, just keep selling and you’ll be there in no time! Solid work. Is that a granite disc in the middle of your cigar tray? Nice touch.

Back