• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Warren Gookin

I have just started into wood turning and completed a 2 month turning intensive program in Maine at the Center for Furniture Craftmanship. Beth Ireland my instructor along with Dixie Biggs and Mark Gardner were just great. So much information and so little time.
I live in Dallas Oregon and retired from a work injury in 2008. I've started to set up a shop. It's 12' x 24'. I have purchased a new 2436 Laguna lathe still have to assemble it. Then start collecting chucks and different tool rest. I hope to have a piece of my work published in the AAW gallery in the near future. I have also entered this one piece in the 2022 AAW Exhibition. So we sill see how it goes, hope for the best. I'm now looking for a band saw, strongly considering the Laguna 14BX 220 model and the MBA14BX light (220 model). I would appreciate some feed back on this. I did consider the Grizzly G0817 model. But I feel maybe Laguna from Woodcraft may offer better support if needed! Any input would help. I'm looking forward to everyone's input.

Welcome to the forum, Warren!
I think you’re really going to enjoy the 2436. I have the 1836 and it is a work horse!

I also just bought the Laguna 18bx bandsaw last year, which is the big brother to the 14bx. I don’t think you could go wrong with either of the choices that you mentioned but, after having the 1836 for almost 3 years, and the 18bx for about 8 months, I’d really have to recommend the Laguna bandsaw. Not only is it a work horse but, the support I’ve received from Laguna has been top notch!

Can’t wait to see some of your items!

Back