• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Watch for Wolverine on the loose

I discovered why I have been unhappy with my edge tools of late. Went to sharpen a bowl gouge this a.m. and had to change out the platforms on the Wolverine. Oops, the locking base had come loose under one of the wheels. I originally installed it with 4- 3/4"-8 flat heads because I mounted it on a 3/4" piece of cabinet grade birch and was portable. Both sides are now held in place with 4each 1&1/2"-10 sheetmetal screws and in a permanent home. I'm posting this because it might help someone else. It didn't become noticeable until it was quite loose. But I should have been looking for something wrong when my edges began to get inconsistent. Too much of a rush to get back to turning with too little attention to detail. It'll get ya every time. :eek:

I've had something similar happen with mine. Additonally, i've had problems when sharpening smaller diameter tools (1/4" spindle gouge for instance) with the metal flap twisting almost off the shaft of the tool when tightened. It doesn't seem to have much of a bite like this. Have you encountered this?
Thanks,
Mike

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Several years ago, I redid my Wolverine mounting with a couple pieces of good grade particle board. This seems to have worked out well.

Because I'm using a 6" grinder, I needed to raise it up a little to match the Wolverine. That's where the 2nd piece of particle board was used. Now......it works like it should!

....odie

Attachments

• Standard 6 inch grinder (2).jpg
    Standard 6 inch grinder (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
odie said:
Several years ago, I redid my Wolverine mounting with a couple pieces of good grade particle board. This seems to have worked out well.

Because I'm using a 6" grinder, I needed to raise it up a little to match the Wolverine. That's where the 2nd piece of particle board was used. Now......it works like it should!

....odie

It looks like you mounted the locking bases on the wrong sides. The locking handle should be on the outside of the wheel. You will find it much easier to lock and unlock your attachments without the handle getting in the way.

Ed

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Ed Koenig said:
It looks like you mounted the locking bases on the wrong sides. The locking handle should be on the outside of the wheel. You will find it much easier to lock and unlock your attachments without the handle getting in the way.

Ed

Ed....

I can see where that might be so, if I had an 8" grinder, but with my 6" wheels, there is plenty of room for the handles (check out the photo), plus it's much more compact the way I did the installation.....works for me!

Besides, it's just my style to do things exactly the opposite from everybody else! :eek:

....odie

Last edited:
Back