• Turning of the Week -- July 12, 2021

Congratulations to Kalia Kliban for "Corazon" being selected as this weeks TOTW! CLICK HERE for full details.

• We just finished installing numerous forum, add-on and server patches. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Watch shavings fly! 2021 AAW Virtual Symposium, July 17-18!

Kim Rymer

Communications & Marketing Director
AAW Staff
2021HandoutBookAttendeesCover-250.jpgThe 2021 Virtual Symposium Planning Guide is now available!

Begin planning your experience. Available to everyone, you can explore all the exciting features of the 2021 Virtual Symposium in the AAW Planning Guide, a 41-page, full-color digital booklet that includes:
  • Schedule overview: rotations, vendor demos, auctions, hallway talks.
  • Featured rotations and vendor demonstration descriptions.
  • Auctions, exhibitions, and awards information.
  • Trade show outline.
  • Supporting advertiser ads and information.

Click here to view/download the AAW Planning Guide.

Handout Book

Plan ahead. Enjoy useful demonstrator material during the sessions and in the future. Available exclusively to registered attendees, the AAW Handout Book, is an 87-page, full-color digital booklet that includes everything from the Planning Guide, plus:
  • Demonstrator information, bios, and photos of their work.
  • Demonstrator project outlines, guides, and information.
  • Demonstrator tips, tool lists, and other resources.

The AAW Handout Book alone might just be worth the price of registration! Register by July 9 to get priority advance access to the Handout Book.

Question for Kim or any others who might know.

I have no high speed internet, so there is no way I could join in or watch anything live.

However, I will be house sitting the last week of July and could watch recordings of these sessions with high speed service during that time.

Is there any time frame for when recordings will be available, and for how long they will be available?

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
Question for Kim or any others who might know.

I have no high speed internet, so there is no way I could join in or watch anything live.

However, I will be house sitting the last week of July and could watch recordings of these sessions with high speed service during that time.

Is there any time frame for when recordings will be available, and for how long they will be available?
Hi Tim:

Thanks for reaching out. The replays of the featured rotations will be released sometime the week following the Virtual Symposium and then will be available for viewing for 3 weeks. The replays will be available to registered attendees only. We will not be selling the replays separately. Hope I've answered your questions. :)

Cheers!
Kim

Question for Kim.....
Why are the replays available for such a short time period? For many of us, this is a busy time of year with travel and activities. It seems those AAW members who paid for the symposium should receive a much longer opportunity, or better yet, a permanent opportunity to view & review than 3 weeks. After all, the AAW is us!
Thanks,
Rick

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
Hi Rick:

Thanks for reaching out.

The 2021 Virtual Symposium contracts for demonstrators/panelists specify that the replays will be available for three weeks.

Many of our demonstrators/presenters livelihoods depend on demonstrations/presentations they deliver, classes (live and online) they hold, as well as videos and books they sell. Some believe our offering the replays for a longer period (or forever) would be damaging to them financially.

We've worked hard to develop contracts that are equitable for demonstrators/presenters and AAW alike. Without our valued demonstrators/presenters, AAW would not be able to host events.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, please let me know.

Cheers!
Kim

Got email today and the info for registrants goes out Thursday. I do not see a way the auto generated emails could possibly know who has registered, they are auto generated by the AAW website to all members. Ask me how I know that , from working as webmaster for my club. Websites are set up with some hard parameters and they don't change easily.

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
@Kim Rymer
Question: Will the Trade Show demos also be available for the three week period. In particular the Axminister demo.
Hi William:

Thanks for asking.

Yes, the "vendor demos" will be recorded and available for replay. This includes: Axminster Woodturning: Axminster Woodturning Chucks with Colwin Way; Easy Wood Tools: Hollowing Made Easy as 1, 2, 3 Featuring Carl Jacobson; Peke Safety: Staying Safe From Sawdust, Hard/Exotic Woods, Lacquer + Head & Eye Protection; and Stockroom Supply: Bandsaw Blade Drift Myths.

Also available for replay will be the featured demonstrations/panel discussions and the following sessions: Gizmos and Gadgets, Beads of Courage, Segmented Woodturners, Building Youth Woodturning Programs, and Women in Turning (WIT).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Cheers!
Kim

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
@Kim Rymer
Question: Will the Trade Show demos also be available for the three week period. In particular the Axminister demo.
Is everybody else getting ads to register? Makes me worried I'm NOT registered even though I know I am.

Is everybody else getting ads to register? Makes me worried I'm NOT registered even though I know I am.
Hi Charles:

I double-checked and yes, you are registered.

We send Symposium marketing emails to all members, regardless of whether they are registered because some include new Symposium features we want to make sure everyone knows about.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Cheers!
Kim

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Charles, the forums have no way to know who is registered and who is not. I put the banner ad up for Kim on the forums but you can easily close the banner if you have registered or just don't want to see it anymore. Just click the X in the top right corner. Thanks!

1626278949573.png

Hi Dave: Here is a link to the page where the Handout Book is and where the video replays will be available. You'll need to sign in with your username and password. https://community.woodturner.org/I'm_not_going_to_repeat_it

I thought the replay videos, Handout Book, etc...would only be available to those who had paid the symposium entry fee (registered attendees). I could be wrong, but the link provided above appears to be available to anyone who has an active AAW membership. What gives?

Last edited:

Kim Rymer

AAW Staff
Ed:

Thanks for reaching out.

The link is only for those who registered for the Virtual Symposium. The replay videos will be available to Virtual Symposium attendees only. Only registered Virtual Symposium attendees have access to the Handout Book, the videos, and any other resources on that page. Registered Virtual Symposium attendees will have access to replays of most featured demonstrations, panel discussions, vendor demonstrations, special interest sessions, and chats through Monday, August 9, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. You will be notified by email when the videos are available for viewing. We hope to have them ready to go early next week. Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
Kim