• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wax coating on burl

Recently got a beautiful spalted maple burl bowl blank wax sealed with a bit of live edge that I would like to try to keep and not turn away. Is there any way to remove the wax coating so I can finish the piece with a finish?
Thanks

I don't know what boiling would do to cherry, but l think you could get the wax out of the live edge. Boil the blank. Keep it submerged while it cools. Remove the hardened wax from the surface and then extract your blank.

Boiling is probably your best idea however before that I would put it in the freezer for a day and then chip off the excess wax. It becomes brittle when frozen and is easier to remove. Once you get most of the excess off boil it. like Mike said.

In chemistry like dissolves like. Oil and wax are both long carbon chains. The lighter the oil the quicker it will dissolve the wax. Using vegetable oil would probably be a slow process.

Back