• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wayne Danley

Good afternoon,
I have had the woodworking bug for as long as I can remember, doing projects with my dad as a kid. I was first introduced to turning on a lathe in a shop class in junior high school and continued through high school. As happens to us all, life took its course ( military, 27 years as a police officer, wife and two kids) and working with a lathe was on hold for thirty-six years. As time went by, I would see turned items here and there and the “itch” began to grow. After reviewing this forum and others, I took a pen turning class in Reno Nevada a few months ago and I was hooked. I searched the internet continually for both new and used lathes and decided on a Powermatic 3520C. Yesterday I picked up the lathe, put it together this morning and am now anxiously awaiting the electrician to put in a 220 circuit in my shop.

I look forward to learning and contributing when and where I can.

Wayne

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Wayne, welcome.
Like Gerald said, if you haven’t already done so, I suggest contacting a local chapter of the AAW.
Nothing beats interacting with other turners and getting some hands on instruction.

Turning pens can be a rewarding and lucrative endeavor.

If you move to the larger items for which the powermatic is capable of do be careful.
You need to understand some basics to avoid serious injury.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I hope that he is okay. Head injuries are always something to take very seriously. A helmet can reduce the severity of injury, but never presume that it protects you from injury. The main difference that a helmet would make is reducing lacerations, broken bones, and other grizzly injuries. Concussions are less easy to quantify. It is far better to learn how to avoid having that type of injury.

Here is a pop quiz: what can you see from the very beginning of the video that is a problem?

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice on safety. Gerald I have researched the locations of the California, Oregon and Nevada AAW chapters and unfortunately the nearest to me is well over a three hour drive as I live in a remote portion of northeastern California. My best closest resource is a woodworking store in Reno that offers various classes that I have and will in the future take advantage of. In the meantime I will be concentrating on small spindle items to gain familiarity with my new equipment.

Again, thank you all..

Wayne

Back