• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wenge

I was wondering if any of you have experience with wenge? I was trying to turn a piece of this, having a sharp tool and using a moderate touch, I thought I was ok. Instead I started getting multiple catches as I tried to rough out the piece. I finally gave up when one of the catches picked the piece out of the chuck and threw it across the room. As I looked at the wood it seemed the grain was in sworlls and not straight.

Although harder, Wenge reminds me of Pine. There is a mix of dark and light grain and they each have different densities. This can make turning a bit of a challenge, but with sharp tools this can usually be overcome. If the grain is rather straight that is. The problem with a lot of figure in woods like this is that a softer area can grab the tool. As you witnessed, this grab can be a real eye opener and lead to unpleasant situations. The density difference is so profound at times that even sanding can be a challenge leaving you with what feels to be uneven grain across the turning. As a result of my experience with Wenge, I don't turn it much. But that's just me.

I bought some bottle stopper blanks out of wenge a while back, never touched them. After reading this thread I thought last night I would turn some just to see what the problem is. After messing with it for a while I reminded myself that I turn wood to relax and not for a frustrating challenge that raises my blood pressure. Will probably burn the semi-turned @$%&* peces in our fire pit tonight while enjoying a cold beer. I will toast a cold one to those that are successful with this stuff! :eek:

When used as small pieces or thin layers in segmented work, wenge doesn't present the problems you experienced. However it does tend to be a bit harder to turn and sand than the adjacent pieces or layers. Can only suggest using a very light touch with a very sharp tool, and resharpen frequently.

Very light touch, very sharp tool, very supported bevel. Figure on 2-3x as many cuts as with a more stable wood. Also figure on shear scraping it for the final cuts to deal with the swirl. If this isn't working, wax it up with paste wax between each cut. Time consuming but relatively effective as it lubricates the wood and reduces catches.

Worse comes to worst, send it to me and I'll see what I can do with it.

Good luck,
Dietrich

Back