• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What are my options?

I recently discovered this Osage Orange along the creek below Dad’s house. It is surrounded by mostly walnut trees that are really not ready to harvest. Would it make sense to try lopping off one of the soccer ball size burls now with the idea of getting the entire tree harvested within five years? All thoughts and experiences appreciated! Also has anyone worked with an Osage burl? Pictures?
E64171B7-96E5-4BC2-9F1A-AB41DB3C7DE3.jpeg705F54FB-127B-4CCB-B9A1-34A64FCB266D.jpeg046FAF47-95E1-479C-AA3D-2B44DD704A6B.jpeg

Drool!!!!! The burls usually go down, in a cone shape towards the pith of the tree. Best bet is to harvest the tree, rather than cutting just the outside of the burl off. You might want to save a couple of the hedge apples to seed some starts. Some times that burl gene gets passed on.

Used to go down to Lake of the Ozarks as a kid. Out in Oregon now. I have some starts from my Dad's place in St. Joe.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed. That settles it then, I will give the firewood to a neighbor for taking the tree down. (I will be there to help cut the burl disks out!) I may wait till next year though to get a chance at relocating some of the hedge apples. How long can I hold them after harvesting if they are coated with Anchor Seal? I’m a hobby turner and don’t get anything done fast but may be at least semi-retired this time next year.

Thanks Reed. That settles it then, I will give the firewood to a neighbor for taking the tree down. (I will be there to help cut the burl disks out!) I may wait till next year though to get a chance at relocating some of the hedge apples. How long can I hold them after harvesting if they are coated with Anchor Seal? I’m a hobby turner and don’t get anything done fast but may be at least semi-retired this time next year.
In my experience with Anchor Seal, or any seal, you can't wait long. It starts checking within minutes in some species. The best thing you can do is cut your burl sections with at least a foot of trunk left on either end. That makes them heavier and more difficult to store, but the inevitable checks may not reach the burl. Matter of fact it makes it so difficult that you should just forget about the idea and tell me the location of this property.

OMG, don't burn Osage! What a tragedy. If you don't want it, offer it to your turning buddies (like us;) ). Give the neighbor a bowl for his troubles, instead.

(For perspective, our outstanding native wood to turn is aspen :eek: so it doesn't take much for us to get jealous)

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've turned a number of Osage pieces but never a burl. It should be something. Agree with Tom, cut the log above and below the burl and store. As Dean says, try to use it all. I bet local pen turners would jump at it or find a local wood shop to offer it to.

Osage is also an excellent wood for making long bows. If you know of anyone locally, do contact them. The wood chips are also used as a fabric dye, and it doesn't seem to fade. Also, it makes a fence post that according to the old farmers back there, would wear out 2 fence post holes. Do take Doug up on his offer.

As for the hedge apples, I think you can just let them winter over outside and in the spring they will start to sprout. Separate and plant.

robo hippy

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
My turning friend was a land surveyor in the backwoods of TN in his younger days. He's 75. He tells of using very old survey maps to resurvey land that referenced a fence post as a marker. If it was an Osage (Bodock, Bodark, Horse Apple, etc) post you could almost be guaranteed it would still be there, in the ground and good to use.

I would suggest to leave well enough alone till the turner is capable of doing justice to these pieces of Osage burl, they will be still there. in a year or two ??.

Then when harvested make sure it can be turned then, not trying to dry it with almost certain degrade of the wood through splitting, just my 2 cents on this.

I would suggest to leave well enough alone till the turner is capable of doing justice to these pieces of Osage burl, they will be still there. in a year or two ??.

Then when harvested make sure it can be turned then, not trying to dry it with almost certain degrade of the wood through splitting, just my 2 cents on this.
I have wished that I did that more than once.

I've never turned Osage burl before, but even clear Osage is a delite. Not only is it beautiful, but as a newbie (only 18 months, and @90 bowls) I found it very easy to turn and finish. Let that tree put on some weight, and save every scrap of it.

Thanks to all for the thoughtful (and fun!) replies.
Doug, I would certainly enjoy a conversation with a real wood turner. I don’t feel I’m quite there yet!
We still have over one half mile of “hedge rows” that were planted about a century ago. Those trees are easily 40’ tall now so it would be no problem to get you some Osage turning stock.
Yes Reed and Randy those hedge posts are durable! I can show you hedge posts that Dad tamped in about 70 years ago that still hold a gate straight!
And Leo, I absolutely agree with you! I have been “playing” on the lathe for about five years now, mostly on an old inadequate Powercraft lathe that I had modified with riser blocks and reeves drive. Just got a Jet 1642 this year (I love it!) and have yet to find a club. I’ve made a few dozen bowls, platters, boxes etc. Bottom line……I need some time and practice to reduce the chance that I would just convert these relatively rare pieces of wood into garden mulch!
And yes,I have gotten the message that many if not ALL of you would be more than happy to keep me from committing that sin!
Rick, I have turned some very dry, very hard Osage and with a really sharp tool the sound of the cut is just a hiss! It’s wonderful!

I cracked a wood stove burning osage. That and the bark has so much oil in it, it's like the 4th of July with sparklers flying off it. If you cut off the burls, use a plunge cut to go deeper in the tree. Burls are not just bumps on the surface, the nice grain goes deeper into the trunk.

@Richard Elliott As for clubs you are caught in between. There is one in Columbia and one is Springfield, Woodturners of SWMO, where I am a member. Fyi the AAW has a chapter search:

We have been having OTT “open turning tuesday” weekly for about 6 weeks at our clubhouse, very near US65 & I44 intersection. Its been a good mix of various experience levels attending. We have one tonight, 5-8pm. You are more than welcome to come by and visit. We dont have another mtg or OTT for a month or so with the holidays. If interested I’ll message you the address.

Back