• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What finish for lacewood?

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
I turned a little 6" bowl out of Lacewood today. I felt like I was turning MDF... it just turned to powder at the touch of a gouge. Is Lacewood always like this or did I happen to get a really dry blank? Not sure I wanna deal with that again.

Bowl turned out okay, nothing spectacular. Now the question is, what finish should I use? My first thought is to use Danish Oil. Comments and suggestions please!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Maybe a thinned poly to soak in and give the wood fibers some strength. About 2/3 naptha and 1/3 poly should work well. After a couple coats of that, the wood ought to be adequately sealed. You could finish it with a 50-50 mixture of naptha and poly to make a wipe-on finish and apply several coats. The naptha flashes off moderately fast and you could apply coats at about 2 hour intervals. The thinned mixture flows well so it does not have some of the flow problems of unthinned poly.

Bill

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
I recently turned one of my segmented ribbons from lacewood. Maybe I had a very different part of the tree, but it turned quite nicely. For finish, I applied several coats of Bullseye sanding sealer, followed by General Finishes Satin Top Coat. The attached photo shows the results.

Attachments

• Lacewood Ribbon (aaw).jpg
    Lacewood Ribbon (aaw).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 202
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Like Malcom, I've had no issues turning lacewood, well, except for that insect hole....

I used BLO and a buff on the outside, but I used EnviroTex for the inside, since they were drinking vessels and I don't trust tropical woods and alcohol.

TTFN
Ralph

Back