• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What plug on Jet 1840?

Website
www.GrattanCreek.com
Finally pulled the trigger on a new Jet 1840. - It's gonna be a long week or three waiting for delivery!
Now I have a couple weeks to pull a new circuit for it.

Can anyone confirm for me (or take a quick pic of) what style plug the 1840 comes with in the US?

By the way, if anyone is shopping, the best price I found was Southern Tool. I checked Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon, Craft Supplies and a few others. Their advertised price was good to start with, then the "brother-in-law" pricing drops the price when you add it to your cart. Then they offer free shipping, no charge for lift-gate, and don't collect sales tax in you're not in CA or FL.
Only place I found cheaper was Zoro with a discount code my credit card company popped up with. However, I had never heard of them and some bad reviews made me pass on them. Zoro is apparently owned by Grainger but it kind of sounds like they are having a rough start in the ecommerce arena.

(Note from a long-time small business bookkeeper: if you have a business and file sales and use tax, you may want to go ahead and pay your use tax on a purchase like this. If you ever get a sales tax audit, you WILL get dinged, along with a penalty, for not paying use tax on a purchase like this. Ask me how I know!)

All the electrical requirements, including a picture of the plug, are on page 10 of the 1840 EVS Manual which can be accessed by going to jettools.com and selecting the 1840 EVS in the Products/Lathes section of the website. The Manual has a separate tab on that page and is a download of the complete manual.

I should have included a picture of this receptacle. It is what you will find at most Big-Box stores and is perfectly ok.

You'll enjoy this lathe!

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1
Website
www.GrattanCreek.com
All the electrical requirements, including a picture of the plug, are on page 10 of the 1840 EVS Manual which can be accessed by going to jettools.com and selecting the 1840 EVS in the Products/Lathes section of the website. The Manual has a separate tab on that page and is a download of the complete manual.

Yup, already downloaded.

I should have included a picture of this receptacle. It is what you will find at most Big-Box stores and is perfectly ok.

You'll enjoy this lathe!

The local big box actually had everything I needed, including a 15 amp outlet and a double pole switch so I can have a shut-off for the outlet.

Holy cow 12/2 wire is expensive! Another victim of the pandemic, I guess.

12-2 wire? What about the ground? Also, I'm no expert electrician, but I think that, if you're using 12 gauge wire, you may as well install a 20 amp breaker. I made all mine in my workshop 20 amp by using 12 gauge wire; both 110V and 220V. That gives you some flexibility to use the circuit for other 220V tools.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Randy, if I recall my wiring manual (I did my own shop's panel, as well as a new service drop , panel and re-wiring my house many years ago, to NEC code.. but havent in a long time) 240V circuit is grounded through neutral, to an outlet like that with 15 or 20 amps, you really only need the 3 wires.. 2 hots and your neutral.. neutral is bonded to ground bar at panel anyways in most cases.. so using 12-2 (which actually has 3 wires, if it is grounded 12-2 like most is nowadays... 12-3 has 4 actual wires - red,black,white,ground) you can simply run black to black and use the white neutral as the red hot.. and run the neutral via the bare ground wire.. but I agree on the 20 amp breaker if your wiring supports it... unlike 120v household wiring, there are different outlets for 240v depending on purpose and amperage... On the other hand, I probably would not run a 240v circuit for more than one hookup at a time, thus a separate breaker for each 240v tool..much like your house will have a separate 240v for electric range, and another for dryer, or furnace, or HVAC, etc, etc... (or at least back then, they did..) but that's just me...

FWIW, to be safe and cautious, I always ground to the ground bar. The cost of the extra wire is
irrelevant. Yes, grounding to the neutral bar will work but why do panel boxes have a neutral bar and a ground bar?

Randy, if I recall my wiring manual (I did my own shop's panel, as well as a new service drop , panel and re-wiring my house many years ago, to NEC code.. but havent in a long time) 240V circuit is grounded through neutral, to an outlet like that with 15 or 20 amps, you really only need the 3 wires.. 2 hots and your neutral.. neutral is bonded to ground bar at panel anyways in most cases.. so using 12-2 (which actually has 3 wires, if it is grounded 12-2 like most is nowadays... 12-3 has 4 actual wires - red,black,white,ground) you can simply run black to black and use the white neutral as the red hot.. and run the neutral via the bare ground wire.. but I agree on the 20 amp breaker if your wiring supports it... unlike 120v household wiring, there are different outlets for 240v depending on purpose and amperage... On the other hand, I probably would not run a 240v circuit for more than one hookup at a time, thus a separate breaker for each 240v tool..much like your house will have a separate 240v for electric range, and another for dryer, or furnace, or HVAC, etc, etc... (or at least back then, they did..) but that's just me...
There should always be a ground wire. If it required a neutral then there should be four wires. The outlet for the lathe will be two hots and a ground. You do not use the bare ground as a neutral.

Finally pulled the trigger on a new Jet 1840. - It's gonna be a long week or three waiting for delivery!
Now I have a couple weeks to pull a new circuit for it.

Can anyone confirm for me (or take a quick pic of) what style plug the 1840 comes with in the US?

By the way, if anyone is shopping, the best price I found was Southern Tool. I checked Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon, Craft Supplies and a few others. Their advertised price was good to start with, then the "brother-in-law" pricing drops the price when you add it to your cart. Then they offer free shipping, no charge for lift-gate, and don't collect sales tax in you're not in CA or FL.
Only place I found cheaper was Zoro with a discount code my credit card company popped up with. However, I had never heard of them and some bad reviews made me pass on them. Zoro is apparently owned by Grainger but it kind of sounds like they are having a rough start in the ecommerce arena.

(Note from a long-time small business bookkeeper: if you have a business and file sales and use tax, you may want to go ahead and pay your use tax on a purchase like this. If you ever get a sales tax audit, you WILL get dinged, along with a penalty, for not paying use tax on a purchase like this. Ask me how I know!)

By the way, if anyone is shopping, the best price I found was Southern Tool. I checked Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon, Craft Supplies and a few othe
Thanks for doing the research on best price, I’m hopping to get the same lathe. C
Can you also get any accessories(mobile wheels, tail stock swing away) from Southern also? Good luck on your lathe.

Paul

Website
www.GrattanCreek.com
12-2 wire? What about the ground? Also, I'm no expert electrician, but I think that, if you're using 12 gauge wire, you may as well install a 20 amp breaker. I made all mine in my workshop 20 amp by using 12 gauge wire; both 110V and 220V. That gives you some flexibility to use the circuit for other 220V tools.
12/2 wire is actually three leads, so it is two hots and a ground. With 110v you have a hot, neutral and ground. With this 220 circuit you don't have a neutral, just two hots out of phase and a ground.
While 14ga is minimum for a 15a circuit, it is commonly recommended to use 12ga as 14ga may tend to heat up under constant load.
All the 100 circuits in my garage are 20a. As it happens, big box store was out of 20a breakers for my box. They had plenty of 15a breakers and 15a outlets to match. I always match the type of outlet to the breaker to avoid any potential issues. If I need a 20a circuit later, It's a simple matter to swap in a 20a breaker and matching outlet later. The hard part is running conduit and wire.
And just to make it easy to protect the electronics, I'm putting a 2-pole switch in line for the 220 outlet.

Website
www.GrattanCreek.com
Thanks for doing the research on best price, I’m hopping to get the same lathe. C
Can you also get any accessories(mobile wheels, tail stock swing away) from Southern also? Good luck on your lathe.

Paul
I don't see accessories listed on their site in a 30 second search but I would give them a call to be sure. The customer service person I spoke to was easy to reach and happy to answer my questions. https://www.southern-tool.com/store/index.php

12/2 wire is actually three leads, so it is two hots and a ground. With 110v you have a hot, neutral and ground. With this 220 circuit you don't have a neutral, just two hots out of phase and a ground.
While 14ga is minimum for a 15a circuit, it is commonly recommended to use 12ga as 14ga may tend to heat up under constant load.
All the 100 circuits in my garage are 20a. As it happens, big box store was out of 20a breakers for my box. They had plenty of 15a breakers and 15a outlets to match. I always match the type of outlet to the breaker to avoid any potential issues. If I need a 20a circuit later, It's a simple matter to swap in a 20a breaker and matching outlet later. The hard part is running conduit and wire.
And just to make it easy to protect the electronics, I'm putting a 2-pole switch in line for the 220 outlet.
All circuits in my shop were 20Amp with 12 gauge wiring. However, I was surprised to find out when I got my 3520C that the pigtail (or cord) supplied was 14 gauge and, in fact, that a 14 gauge cord was all that would fit into the box with the switch. The 12 gauge cord I bought (because I was originally told none came with the 3520C) would definitely not have fit the input into the box. I suppose that might be because the inverter on the lathe doesn't draw very many amps to start or operate. It's an interesting system but it works very well.

Not unusual to have the short power cord to be a gage smaller than what should be feeding the outlet. The run to the outlet is likely to be much, much longer that outlet to the equipment.
It's all about the voltage drop and keeping it to an acceptable level.

Back