• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What would you call this type of figure

Going through my huge pile of chainsaw milled lumber. This maple had this figure for about 5" of depth around outside of the log, and plain soft maple in the center. As you can see, the small bark inclusions are in a radial pattern. Reminds me a lot of Masur Birch.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 120
I call that Quilted Maple, very rare and valuable, I've turned some, and it is just beautiful.

Yours might be even nicer and have a finer structure than these, though mine have also some spalting .

Nice quilted goes for up to $150..per BF I'm told.

Quited Maple.jpg

Quilted Maple bowl.jpg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
That will take some curious marketing to get that term accepted! LOL I sure would like to market it as Masur Maple. https://www.wood-database.com/masur-birch/
Especially since Masur Birch is going for almost $100 per bd ft.

It's been a long long time since I turned Masur birch, but from what I remember of it, it looks similar to the photo.....

No conclusion, though.

-----odie-----

Back