• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What's the deal with the NEW Oneway lathe?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Your paradigms just got shifted. We have always thought that the bed has to be underneath the axis of ratation, but it looks like Oneway is thinking outside the box. Why not rotate the bed out of the way and give the turner more flexibility in working around the lathe.

Bill

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Spiff. I have a turner friend who thinks he will have to stay with a mini-lathe forever. He will just love this (even if he can't afford it)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My guess is the main reasoning behind the new Oneway lathe......is it would give some of the access features of a shortbed lathe, in a longbed configuration.

Interesting concept.

....otis of cologne

So What Height?

Not so sure it would be an advantage. Seems like the best height for one configuration would make the other difficult. Have to wonder, as the flop does not appear to give increased capacity, what reason they'll give for the redesign. I'm sure they'll have a well-practiced pitch ready for the show.

At the moment the cleaning ease seems the best explanation to me. Can't be to make things easy for old guys, as moving the right angle toolrest will be a bear on the back. I just replaced my drillpress with its no-crank table for that reason.

The concept of a handicapped accessible lathe has been around for a while. John Nichols was kicking the idea around in the 90's. I haven't talked to anyone at Oneway about it, but I remember hearing that they were working on a model for that specific reason.

Hstudio said:
The concept of a handicapped accessible lathe has been around for a while. John Nichols was kicking the idea around in the 90's. I haven't talked to anyone at Oneway about it, but I remember hearing that they were working on a model for that specific reason.

There was a John Nichols handicapped accessible lathe in the shop at Arrowmont several years back.

Website
www.FWCWT.org
Ed Moore said:
I assume that it is for those who cannot stand. There are folks in wheelchairs who should be overjoyed at this possibility.

;) The quote from their website pretty much gives that away:
"Come and visit us in our booth but be prepared to sit down and be amazed!"

I think it's a great concept. Really opens up many possibilities for those who had trouble standing in front of a lathe for long stretches (or at all)

Odie said:
My guess is the main reasoning behind the new Oneway lathe......is it would give some of the access features of a shortbed lathe, in a longbed configuration.
Can't see how that would work. Your tool handle has to be able to swing away from the user for hollowing, which would put the lathe bed in the way.

The lathe setup would be good for spindles, boxes, etc. But unless I am missing something, you won't be able to hollow a bowl of any size on it.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I have taught a number of students who have been handicapped to varying degrees - people who could not stand for long, people standing with crutches while turning, and those in wheelchairs. This lathe looks to address those issues. I think it is a great idea. With Canada's socialized medicine, perhaps those up north can get their insurance to pay for one! :eek:

Bill

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Czarcastic said:
The lathe setup would be good for spindles, boxes, etc. But unless I am missing something, you won't be able to hollow a bowl of any size on it.

Steven, I don't think it is designed to emulate a short bed lathe. What I have found in teaching handicapped students is the biggest problem is getting close enough to the machine to use the tools well. This hold especially true for those in wheelchairs. It looks to me like this machine will address that directly, allowing people in chairs to get into a proper position to hold the tools and use them to good effect.

Now if someone will develop a lathe that deals with some mental handicaps... ;)

Bill

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Many years ago I set up a mini lathe for a guy in a wheelchair. We tilted the lathe about 45 degrees so he could move his arms over the lathe to more closely emulate the way I do when standing over mine. That' may be the reason for the tilting bed.
At first I thought it was for people built more like Bill G so there was extra clearance for the turning muscle. Sorry Bill just had to get that one in. :)

Czarcastic said:
;) Can't see how that would work. Your tool handle has to be able to swing away from the user for hollowing, which would put the lathe bed in the way.

Doing hollowforms up to say 11" in diameter should not present a big problem, especially using a captured system, so long as you have curved tools available. If the machine allows fixing at different points in the 90* arc from vertical, raising the axis by several inches would provide complete clearance over the bed, but this will require an articulated tool rest/holder as well to keep the rest horizontal.

Coring out bowls would be another story, but I rather doubt physically impaired turners are very high on that anyway.

I'm told Jerry Nichols spent a great deal of time and money trying to develop a wheelchair accessible version of his lathe, but was unable to make it economically viable.

Oneway has identified a large niche market that is growing along with the woodturning community. I have concerns, however, because for a sit-down turner, their body will be much more "engaged" with the workpiece's space. The prospect for injury from flying wood or tools or both appears greatly increased. Allowing the turner to effectively sit under the turning axis without effective body shielding is worrisome, especially for people whose ability to move away from a problem is impaired to begin with.

Will have to wait and see if/how these issues arise over time.

john lucas said:
Many years ago I set up a mini lathe for a guy in a wheelchair. We tilted the lathe about 45 degrees so he could move his arms over the lathe to more closely emulate the way I do when standing over mine. QUOTE]

Did something similar for a friend with no legs. Tilted the lathe on the stand ~30 degrees. Next evolution would be to take some of the bed extensions and use them to support the toolrest, like the wooden ways I used for outboard turning long ago. Since it was bowl turning for me, didn't need more than six inches of movement for the banjo.

Mark Mandell said:
Coring out bowls would be another story, but I rather doubt physically impaired turners are very high on that anyway.
Mark, I have a friend who is a quad, with very limited use of his hands, that turns everything. Does beautiful work. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be curious how folks would conceptualize benefits of this setup for non-chair bound turners.

I know my first reaction was "well I'll be da*&ed" cause it seems so simple in implementation and concept but no-one ever did it. There have got to be some advantages there that we just haven't thought of because we never considered it. Especially interested in techincal advantages, not just ease to the back and legs.

Thoughts?

Dietrich

Al Neighbors said:
Mark Mandell said:
Mark, I have a friend who is a quad, with very limited use of his hands, that turns everything. Does beautiful work. :)

That's terrific, Al. All power to him! Didn't say such folks couldn't or shouldn't run a coring knife, just that it might not be high on their to-do lists. :)

Website
www.abhats.com
I kind of think Oneway has to have larger expectations for this thing than just impaired turners. I know two who are happy with what they have (one with a ShopSmith and another with a regular yellow beastie). There's no info on pricing, so let's see what they say.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Oneway has the tilt bed in Portland. The concept is you set it to proper height standing then tilt the bed 90 degrees and add the angle attachment to the toll rest holder and it is the right height for the seated individual. Should be great for someone who can't stand.

When the bed is tilted 90 degrees it will work great for spindles, pepper mills, boxes etc.

It will be a great lathe for some individuals.

It has some limitations due to the fact that the ways are on the right side of the work when the bed is tilted. The ways to the right prevent using techniques most people use for bowls and hollow forms.

If you have ever worked with a lathe shield close to the lathe the ways are vend closer.

I hollow bowls with the the gouge handle across the ways when entering at the rim and pull it toward me. When titled the ways would block the handle just like a lathe guard does. With small bowl you can do the inside will all shear cuts which pretty much keeps the handle in front of the bowl to start.
Shears cuts take a lot longer to excavate a bowl.

Wide hollow forms would be difficult as the ways are now more or less on the right side of the vessels and would block most tool handles from hollowing a wide vessel.

I'm thinking there are a lot of things possible with routers and carving tools supported on a table at the near the height of the work.
happy turning,
Al

KEW

hockenbery said:
I hollow bowls with the the gouge handle across the ways when entering at the rim and pull it toward me. When titled the ways would block the handle just like a lathe guard does. With small bowl you can do the inside will all shear cuts which pretty much keeps the handle in front of the bowl to start.
Shears cuts take a lot longer to excavate a bowl.

Wide hollow forms would be difficult as the ways are now more or less on the right side of the vessels and would block most tool handles from hollowing a wide vessel.

Al

If the motor reverses, it seems like turning hollow forms would work very well cutting on the far side of the centers.
Cutting on the far side to excavate a bowl seems very awkward, but if that was the only way a person could do it, I'm betting many would adapt quick enough.

If the conversion from standing to sitting configuration is quick/easy enough, I can see lots of potential for sanding and detail work while sitting at the lathe!

Cheers,
Kurt

Last edited:
KEW said:
If the motor reverses, it seems like turning hollow forms would work very well cutting on the far side of the centers.
Cutting on the far side to excavate a bowl seems very awkward, but if that was the only way a person could do it, I'm betting many would adapt quick enough.

Or one could use the "bowl" gouge to get the gross work done as in http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=HollowTwo001.flv , though a face shield would certainly be in order with your chops close to the centerline. A nice flat gouge would peel (slightly below center) the sides for fine work and avoid all the silliness about dropping the handle of the gouge significantly and risking a catch. http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=CherryPeelIn.flv

With no legs to do a weight shift entry, Nathan was able to swing his torso for gross hollowing pretty well, though we set the centerline slightly above his navel. Shavings went down pretty well as the gouge was pulled, required that the hand holding it to the rest be open when starting the push cut.

I think this design as a lot of good advantages, as previously mentioned. However, I think one disadvantage might be there could be additional vibration in the tool rest due to having that right angle in there. With the usual configuration, the force is directed straight down through the post, to the banjo & ways. But with this tool rest, I suspect there's added vibration because the force is hitting the post in a perpendicular manner. However, if they engineered it right, it may not be noticeable.

here's how it looks with turner added

Kevin Clay stated that these lathes would not be ready for a few months, just a few minor bugs have to be worked out.

Attachments

• DSC_0453.JPG
    DSC_0453.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 15
Kevin also stated these lathes would retail for $2900.
Note that there is a spindle blank mounted. During the entire show, I never noticed a bowl blank on that lathe. The spec sheet does mention that this lathe reverses so one can assume that a reverse hollowed bowl could be possible or at least the hollowing process could be started in reverse and completed in normal rotation mode.

Attachments

• DSC_0454.JPG
    DSC_0454.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have a friend who had Polio at a younger age. He cannot stand long with his Oneway 2436. Therefore, he had new legs made to mount the 2436 at a 45 degree tilt. He sits on a stool to turn. It seems to work for him, although I do not know how far he has pushed the envelope with this arrangement. We should get in touch with Kevin Clay and let him test the new lathe. He may have some good advise for them as well. Just my take on this. I thought about him when viewing the new lathe at the Symposium. :)

Bill

Back