• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Which Chuck?

Website
FurnitureRepair.net
I have just purchased a PM 20" lathe. Looking for advice on purchasing a chuck. I have a few questions:

Is there a chuck that can do large and small items or do I need to get 2 different chucks or just an assortment of jaws?

Which one is the best - quality, versatility, function, etc?

Good place to buy - best price with stock and good delivery?

I know some of this is subjective and there may be personal favorites, Thats, OK.

Steve Nearman
Fredericksburg, VA

The Master's Touch
http://FurnitureRepair.net

Chucks?

I have 2 Talon chucks, a supernova2, a Vicmarc VM100, and a Vicmarc VM120. The only one I don't care for is the supernova2. that is mainly because it tightens and loosens backward from the others. I prefer the Vicmarc chucks because of the use of the allen wrench to adjust instead of a splined key. The one thing I like about the Talons though is they have a set screw to lock the chuck to the spindle if you want to reverse to sand. The jaws on the Talon are better for holding square stock and are not dovetailed. I like having more than one brand because you can play to their strong points when doing something out of the ordinary.

Vernon

They all work. It's a great luxury to have an extra, though. Keep in the same brand if you get one large one small, and make sure the brand allows the same jaws on the bodies you buy. Not always true.

I've got three Novas, and with Novas, "Leftie Lucy won't spread 'em for Chuck" is the proper mnemonic. Of course they tighten right, loosen left in my preferred mode of mortises, so I regard it as a fact of life not a hindrance. More or less like the left-hand thread on the tablesaw arbor.

I would for sure get a pin chuck if I were contemplating turning bowls, though. Best $70 solution going.

Website
www.zionfire.com
uncleSteve said:
I have just purchased a PM 20" lathe...

Is there a chuck that can do large and small items or do I need to get 2 different chucks or just an assortment of jaws?
Well, I'm already jealous! 20" lathe. sigh...

Yes, the large chucks can do small work, but there are drawbacks.

The Stronghold chuck is recommended by Oneway for lathes with swing over 16". You qualify. Understand that the Stronghold will handle anything down to tiny, but the chuck is LARGE! Getting in close to where your wood is suddenly has this big honking chunk of metal at that end of its world. It's like 4.5" according to their website, but it sure feels like it's more than 1" wider than the Talon. It's big and meaty, weighing in at 8 pounds, more than twice the Talon's weight. Great chuck, just bulkier to work around for smaller stuff.

UncleSteve said:
Which one is the best - quality, versatility, function, etc?
Any of the top end chucks are very versatile, good quality, and have all the parts and pieces available to them. Plus you can use 'em on almost any lathe, with an additional $20 insert. I have 3 inserts for my Talon and use it on 3 different lathes. I'd recommend Oneway, Axminster, or Vicmarc in a minute. Generally, I'd also put Nova in that category, but there have been a number of loud complaints in the last month about shoddy materials escaping their quality control inspections.

If you've the time and desire to play and pray, the guys who've bought from PSI and taken the time to really inspect and have refused to settle for seconds, have gotten what they consider to be good chucks. A couple have had to send them back up to 4 or 5 times (all at PSI's expense) until they got one that was right. And if you're spending $$, why would you settle for NOT right??

UncleSteve said:
Good place to buy - best price with stock and good delivery?
Nowadays, if you can pick up a discount or a sale, that's the way to go. If you buy from your local Woodcraft store (or Rockler, or whatever your local tool pusher is), you're liable to be able to get parts and accessories easily. Once upon a time, you could get a deal on eBay for new at $20-30 less than was available in retail. Retail responded and doesn't overmark them. You're going to pay shipping or tax. Pick one! If you find a local club, you might be able to pick up a used but good chuck when the owner buys a newer one, bigger one, or the one that "THAT turner" uses. Or because they really do LIKE tommy bars and want to go back there.

UncleSteve said:
I know some of this is subjective and there may be personal favorites, Thats, OK.
You've certainly got all of that right. :rolleyes:

Website
www.zionfire.com
MichaelMouse said:
I've got three Novas...Of course they tighten right, loosen left...
Maybe it has something to do with that southern hemisphere thing. You know, toilets flushing opposite of us northern hemisphere folks and all that? ;)

DeanGThomas said:
Maybe it has something to do with that southern hemisphere thing. You know, toilets flushing opposite of us northern hemisphere folks and all that? ;)
hahah The coriolis effect for chucks :)

I like the SN2 best mostly because of the ball-hex key system of tightening/loosening it. The "backwards" rotation doesn't bother me because as MM said, you turn it clockwise to expand the jaws. No big deal. It's even marked on the chuck with an arrow.

I also like the fact that the Nova jaw sets are interchangeable among any of their chucks, and they have a large assortment of them available.

That said, you can't go wrong with any of them, methinks. I've used the Talon and Stronghold, and they're fine pieces of equipment. The differences among all of them are nitpicky.

-Joe

I have a Supernova for exactly that reason, jaw sets fit that and my small nova. My biggest gripe with the supernova isn't the reversed tightening, it's the small runout.

And don't forget. Nova has the Titan for really big stuff.

Steve,

Steel is stronger than wood. Good chucking technique is more important than the chuck itself.

If you think that you have a remote chance that you may get more than 1 chuck, then Nova is the clear choice for saving money on jaws. You don't have to repurchase all the jaws you already own if you get a different size chuck even of the same brand. That is very costly. All current Nova chucks (midi, G3, SN2 & Titan) share the same jaws. The only exception is their Titan Power Grip jaw that uses 3 screws per slide that can only fit the Titan chuck. They are also backward compatible with all their discontinued models.

I also like their long nose jaw, 1" pin jaw and faceplate rings. The long nose and pin jaw allow more clearance on the back side without the interference of the headstock.

The SN2 has a lot of improvement over the original SN.

Gordon

Website
www.almather.com
My comment is that I have the Stronghold on the same lathe as you have and have not found it to be too big for doing most small projects, working close to the jaws. I had wondered about that as well. I haven't used any other chucks so can not make comparisons.

Al

This is kind of like asking which lathe is best, mostly a matter of opinion I guess. I bought the small Vicmarc (3.5"?) lathe with the hex key for my mini-lathe several years ago. Fell in love with it so when I bought a bigger lathe I just bought a new insert for the old chuck. This past summer I bought a second one of the same model. I also have almost all the different jaws available. So far it has done all I have asked so I haven't bought a bigger one yet. I have turned 16" dia. by maybe 10" deep pieces of green lumber and never worried about the chuck failing. I probably use one of the two chucks for 95% of what I do on the lathe.

For what it's worth, when they test them, they all get pretty similar compression for the same key torque. Base your decision on availability of jaws at your local store, price point, and smoothness of action and you can't go wrong. Figure that the oneways, the vicmarcs, the novas, and the axeminsters are all pretty excellent.

Dietrich

I have 2 of the small vicmarcs and really like them. I think the overwhelming point in this thread is that the name brands are all good. I would pick which ever one you got the best deal on at this time.

The Stronghold chuck is recommended by Oneway for lathes with swing over 16".

Think that has anything to do with the manufacturer of the chuck?

Lots of talk about wood-smashing ability, and it's 180 out. You want to control the wood, certainly, which means larger diameter jaws with relatively larger reference surfaces will outperform smaller, but after the size of the piece is supported, the reserve only needs be enough to make a shaving. Consider secondary controls if the wood won't let, like the tailstock always and late into the process, and/or a steady.

I'm not proud. I'll use whatever I can to do what I want, which is sometimes to produce a bowl that looks like it shouldn't stand up. Makes the others a piece of cake if you use the same techniques.

Website
www.woodturningguild.com
chuck

Go with the Vicmarc. I have the 3 1/2" and the 5" and use them on the PM20" and they will hold anything you ask them to. Vicmarc make a wide range of jaws for whatever you're chucking including a stepped jaw that will accommadate a veriaity of sizes. I have been roughing 20" green bowls on the 5" for 2 years now and wouldn't trust anything else. The Vicmarc are also better steel, imo, they don't rust even when turning wet. Craft Supply carries the full line as do some of the other suppliers.

Back