• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Which Stihl gas powered chainsaw?

Well, if I had a firm limit such as $400, I'd say the one that offers the best basic and reputable machine with the strongest engine. This way you would have flexibility in a longer bar if ever needed.

20 years ago I bought the 290 Farm Boss (now the 271 series?) upgrading at the purchase from the 16" bar to the 20". My first saw, and I still own it today. Annual usage has been light, but when I use it I've used that entire bar. I don't collect wood as large as I used to and last year I needed a new bar and dropped to an 18". I like the 18" better than the old 20", the saw has better balance.

But, like any other power saw, a chain saw engine's best friend, regardless of the engine size, is a healthy and sharp cutter (chain). Big power is meaningless if the chain is abused.

I have a ms180 c and it's been a great saw for me. Its always cut anything I wanted. The only limitation is the 16 inch bar.

Bought a ms271 couple of months ago and they make a great combo.

Depends on what you’re going to be cutting with it? Smaller limbs, or larger trunks? Cross cuts, ripping, or both? What’s the largest diameter you think you’ll use it for? How much will you be using it? Gas or electric?

Lots of variables to consider, but for $400 and under you’ll probably be limited to a 250 / 251 or less.

Like Sam, I have two. A 180 and a 251. Both get rave reviews from me and both get used, but which one depends on the job.

I was out last weekend processing some cherry with the 251. Good workout and the saw outpaced me - by a long shot.

One more thing to consider, I can use the 251 for anything the 180 will do, but the opposite is always not true. Really think about how you will really use it.

Others may weigh in, but look at the CBE versions. They are incredibly easy to start. In fact, I have to consciously remember to not pull so hard as I have it on my 251, but not the 180.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've got a 271 with a 20 inch bar. It's a work horse, beefy but not so heavy that it tires me out over a long cutting session. Just about everything I've put on my lathe has been cut by it. I like it enough that I brought a ms362 for larger stuff.

I have the Sthil MS250. It has the “easy start”. I like the saw, but hate the easy start function. It is harder to start and I will never buy another saw with the easy start function.

Just got the ms 291C 20 inch bar with easy start for xmas gift. A game changer for sure when cutting larger blanks. Cut through hickory logs with ease. The blank can be cut flat on one side in one cut every time for my 1824 laguna lathe, but Is a heavier machine but cuts my saw time in half easy. Also have a have a 180 14 inch bar but not good for anything larger than 12 inches max. Searched the web for quite awhile Stihl and other makes, gave my wife the model after an arborist from Quebec was cutting down a larger maple tree for a neighbour one day. I stopped to ask him what model to buy? He opened up his shirt and showed me his Stihl tattoo, orange and black tattooed across his chest, that was good enough for me. He also said go Eco if you want to spend on a cheaper model. I suggest buy new for what everyone wants for a used one, with warranty included. Just like buying a lathe, go bigger or go home. But remember, what are kind of wood you going to cut and what size items you are going to turn in the future on the lathe.

Last edited:
Completely unrelated to anything here (almost, anyway). I cut up a storm fallen pine tree (don't know which variety) for a neighbor once. First and last time that ever happened, I spent the afternoon cleaning sap out of everywhere but the engine case. But the saw made quick work of that large trunk.

Have an MS 250 with the easy start. Liked it so much, my neighbor bought one after fighting with his old saw while I cut half a tree up. I think that one is about the top of the line for a 'homeowner' saw, next up the chain are the light duty 'pro' saws. Been really happy with this saw. Also have a Husky rancher which is significantly heavier and marginally more powerful. Both can do just about all the other can, until getting to the larger trunks and chunks. In the hand, I prefer the Stihl as it is lighter and bit more nimble, but find myself reaching for the husky more and more.

So weight may play into it as well. Otherwise, I've not noticed much of a difference clearing chips or anything, but both clog up with the longer curls when ripping blanks. It goes without saying, that no matter the saw, having a sharp blade is essential, neither saw cuts worth beans with a dull chain.

I have the MS361 with the easy start (you do not need to use the easy start if you do not want to, just do not push the button for that)

I bought the MS361 just 20 years ago as I had a smaller one, but got stuck a couple of times with being unable to cut some nice larger trunks.

The MS361 is the bottom end of the professional line, I bought an 18" and a 24" bar with it, now being past 81 years young, it does get rather heavy after a bit, but other than that she is the best saw one can own.

Yes sharpen that chain, it makes for easier cutting, and for ripping I always cut with the bar slanted and I can control the curl length that way, works for me.

Maple cut up and slabbed.jpg

Dropped a tall tree.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Want a Stihl. Under $400. Any recommendation's on which one?

If you have decent dealer they can help a lot.
You know what you want to do with a saw.
The dealer may have some sales options as well.

My two saws are likely over your price limit

My dealer in MD set me up with a 440 magnum

When I wanted a smaller saw to do double duty as a yard tool my dealer in Zephyr hills set me up with a 261.
18” bar.
He talked me out of going to a larger bar because I have the 440 for that and the saw revs higher with the smaller bar- cuts faster

Both saws do their respective jobs nicely.
I use the 261 a lot for woodturning too.
Lighter by a lot and smaller gas tank it tends to run out of gas before I do.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Myself, I would pick a saw based on the Dealership and their reputation (or lack thereof) I would want to find a dealer that has a known reputation for being able to actually fix things, knowing what they are talking about (rather than parroting some brand's sales spiel) , and has a quality "A" Tech on duty - Find such a dealer, and it won't really matter what BRAND you get because the dealer's gonna take care of you better than any brand will. Echo, Makita, HUsqvarna are all superb quality gas power chainsaws (Echo CS-590 Timberwolf would be my choice, or for $400 or so last I knew of, I'd get a CS-450 or thereabouts... Makita, I'd probably get a 5501 or 4201.. Husqvarna, any model starting with a "3".... ) But I'd have the dealer checked out first (One trick I have seen used - on ME no less, was buying an old yard sale but Quality Brand chainsaw, make sure it runs somewhat decent, then find an old spark plug and stick a screwdriver down the insulator nose and crack the insulator - It'll cause problems even if it runs - and ask for it to be looked over and an estimate on repair, well worth the $30 or so up front that many dealers will charge these days... and then rinse and repeat at other dealers... a Dealer with a good diagnostic tech might quote you an actual detailed repair, a dealer to stay away from might just quote you a flat price high and hope you decide to buy a new saw instead... but if I found a dealer that took it in and had a tech run diagnostics and came back with a repair estimate specifying the spark plug and then quote regular maintenance items like filters, fuel lines, and other little details as "recommended" , I'd immediately buy a new saw from that dealer (and all my future accessory needs and regular yearly maintenance) and tell everybody I know to go there for service and new saws - Such a dealer would be worth their weight in gold, whether they sold Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita, Echo, or whatever other solid brand they recommend.

Outside of your budget, but worth it I think, is the Stihl MS 261 C-M. This is their smallest professional saw (but mid-size in their lineup) at 50.2 cc. This is the saw that every power line crew carries on their truck here in Nova Scotia. Good all-rounder. Usually comes at 16", but you can go to 18". If you go Stihl and you don't already have saws, one thing to consider is that according to a Stihl Canada rep, in the US they come with a RM3 chain. That's a less aggressive 'safety' chain that Stihl doesn't even bother to sell in Canada. Our 261s come with a 23 RS (Rapid Super) chain, which is a good chain.; I would consider starting with those from the start.

I have a Stihl 251 and while it does get the job done I do often wish I had spent a little more and got into a pro line saw. The 18" bar can be a little short when trying to rip bigger logs and I am definitely pushing the limits of its power on big rip cuts too. But you don't say that this will be your only saw so maybe you've got a big saw already and are looking for a smaller, lighter saw for small jobs. In that case I would say the 251 is great and within your budget.

Outside of your budget, but worth it I think, is the Stihl MS 261 C-M. This is their smallest professional saw (but mid-size in their lineup) at 50.2 cc. This is the saw that every power line crew carries on their truck here in Nova Scotia. Good all-rounder. Usually comes at 16", but you can go to 18". If you go Stihl and you don't already have saws, one thing to consider is that according to a Stihl Canada rep, in the US they come with a RM3 chain. That's a less aggressive 'safety' chain that Stihl doesn't even bother to sell in Canada. Our 261s come with a 23 RS (Rapid Super) chain, which is a good chain.; I would consider starting with those from the start.
Thank you for the chain info. That is good to know.

I guess I should have been more clear. This will be my only saw and it needs to be a good all-rounder. I have a 12" lathe so I will not be cutting real large logs into blanks. Thanks again.

I’ve got an older ms290 that has served me well for many years. That said, while helping my son clear a bit of his property he was using a new ms251 and I was very impressed with its performance. I think it was maxed out at the 18” bar, but if you’re going to be prepping smaller logs it should be just fine. Rip at an angle and it should do well

I have the Sthil MS250. It has the “easy start”. I like the saw, but hate the easy start function. It is harder to start and I will never buy another saw with the easy start function.
I have the "farm boss" == to the 290 now, had it for 30 years and never failed me. My neighbor bought a stihl on my recommendation, and it was a new "easy start" and I hate it! (The easy start, not the saw. I think the one he bought was too small for his needs, but he was trying to save money.

I have the MS180 with a 14" bar I bought 20 years ago and it still starts easy and runs great. Cutting bowl blanks is tricky because you are jumping back and forth and its easy to make wandering cuts. To me it's a little small for rip cuts and I am thinking about getting something little bigger.

Whatever gas saw you choose, be sure to take care of the carb. I had a Stihl 025 with an 18" bar. Worked great for years until I didn't use it for a while. That dang ethanol gas ruined the carb, and the el cheapo carb I bought wasn't worth a dang. Never worked right again for the few times I tried to get it going. I wound up with an electric saw because I don't use a gas saw often enough or long enough to warrant one. My remaining gas tools get ethanol-free exclusively, and I run the carbs dry every time I put them away. So far that's working well to keep them going.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
We have 4 Stihl saws. Two MS 170's, mine is the MS 261 and Dave's is the 460. The 460 runs up to a 36" bar (we have access to and get very large diameter logs that need that bar). By far the saw that gets the most use is my 261. This saw is capable of handling about 95% of what we do. I'm 5"4", and that's me standing in front of an Ash log (as an example of what the 36" bar is for).

Big Ash Log.jpg

My philosophy in buying tools is get the best you can, even if it will go beyond your budget. Because you'll only cry once - when you pay for it, and not every time you have to use a tool that isn't made for what you need.

Since I'm rarely lucky enough to sccore those big trees like Donna's (wow!), and the Stihl 251 "easy start" was no longer easy for me (great the first couple of years), I opeted for an 18" E-go with a 5Ah battery. A great saw,stronger than the Stihl; battery lasts longer than I do, and all that's needed in the accessory bag is some bar oil "just in case." The ease of use has been a godsend. I looked at several other brands, but the Ego stood out. Battery charges fast too.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ok. So I ended up with the Stihl 251c with 18" bar. Thanks for all of the information and suggestions.
You’ll be happy. Use ethanol free gas when you mix the oil. much better for small engines.
The positive value of Ethanol - good for corn farmers.

we have a lot of gas stations here with ethonol free pumps because most boat owners want it.
Louisiana has boats too so it should be easy to get.

Back