• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

William Rosenberg

I am new to woodturning (past couple of years) but have absolutely fallen in love with it. My wife bought me a mini-lathe a few years ago for my birthday and the rest is history. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of free time to devote to it yet, but I’m making progress and (hopefully) will improve. On a personal note, I’m a neurosurgeon, father of two wonderful grown girls and grandfather to also wonderful 5 boys and a girl. In addition to woodturning, I enjoy carving and am very active in my synagogue.

As I said, I have very limited free time and therefore I’m always looking for people with whom I can arrange one-on-one learning at the lathe. I would welcome any suggestions, especially within striking distance of Kansas City, but I’m also willing to travel anywhere, time allowing. Thank you and I’m excited to be part of this community.

Bill

Welcome to AAW. Sounds like YouTube might be a great resource for you. I has taught me a lot! Mike Peace, Tim Yoder, older Carl Jacobson videos too just to name a few.

Welcome to the addiction uhh er Forum. Find a turning club and you will learn lots. I think there are two in KC. Also Join the AAW if you have not you will learn lots just from the magazine. Anybody ever tell you you look like Norm Abrams.
Can’t say that they have. Thank you. I already belong to the KC Woodturners and joined the AAW when I started a couple of years ago (but admittedly have only recently started to explore what it has to offer).

Welcome. Don’t know how close to retirement you are, but as a recently retired urologist (one month) who started turning less than a year ago, it has filled the void that was left by ending surgery—the planning and execution are similar. Your surgical hands will translate well to turning. And not everyone “lives”:
IMG_1336.jpeg

Welcome. Don’t know how close to retirement you are, but as a recently retired urologist (one month) who started turning less than a year ago, it has filled the void that was left by ending surgery—the planning and execution are similar. Your surgical hands will translate well to turning. And not everyone “lives”:
View attachment 58929
Ha. That’s hysterical! I’m a spine neurosurgeon and about 5 years from retirement. I’ve told people that turning has all of the joy of surgery without the bleeding. And if I screw up, I just throw the ”patient” away and get a new one.

Ha. That’s hysterical! I’m a spine neurosurgeon and about 5 years from retirement. I’ve told people that turning has all of the joy of surgery without the bleeding. And if I screw up, I just throw the ”patient” away and get a new one.
The quote I’ve read here that makes me laugh is, “wood grows on trees.”

Back