• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Windsor Chair Sub-forum?

Any of my fellow turners interested in a sub-forum that would focus on the challenges of making Windsor Chairs? There are so many aspects of turning in the Windsors that it just seems like a natural area to gather together the best of the ideas, exchange techniques, and warn eachother of the pitfalls that happen to the best of the makers. Phil

windsor chairs

i would be interested to learn, i am a novice with bowls, and this would give me something to turn between centers. what type wood is normally used for the chairs???????? walnut , maple, not oak i hope

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm interested. I made one and some windsor stools. I need to make more chairs for my dining room and I've always wanted to build a continuous arm windsor. I'm doing a demo on making duplicate spindles at the Tennessee Symposium in a few weeks and I thought I would turn a windsor style leg to show them how to make duplicate turnings.

I have built a couple of Windsor chairs, one under the supervision of Curtis Buchanan who I think is the best. I have practiced with making stools. There is so much to learn but I have enjoyed the process. The tough thing are the weeklong classes that feel like a death march. The fun part is taking the skills home and playing with no time schedule. In the class I took at Highland Hardware, we had five folks who had taken multiple classes plus five newbies, me included. The really smart method was partnering experienced folks with those who were brand new. It was one of my best experiences in learning, period.
All that is to say, I would hope this subgroup of turners could happen. Thanks for thinking.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I took my class under Curtiss but at the Appalachian Center for Crafts. What a great time. My butt hurt from sitting on that shaving horse 8 or more hours a day but I sure did have a good time. I've made a couple other chairs since then but none were Windsor style. I've been thinking about a Windsor style bench seat for the front porch.

Day-Zha-Voo?

Yes, I know that these chairs are mostly spindle turnings, but aren't we going down the same road as traveled by the P-Matic 3520 Group and that proposed sub-forum?

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, but could you Windsor Guys do the same thing with a few articles and comments on the "How-To" forum without making more work for Jeff, Steve, and Ed to monitor and edit another board? Lets us all remember that they don't get paid for this and, while the rest of us may only read what has interest for us personally, these guys have to read everything, every day, plus have a life, and maybe get to turn something once in a while.

Making these chairs has been a popular effort for many years. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a special interest forum already operating. Has anybody done a search?

Last edited:
Windsor chairs

Mark Mandell said:
Here's a start for a forum:

http://www.windsorchairresources.com/chairtalk.html

Hope it helps.

;)
Oh, we all know about the resources site but I was talking about the AAW site - - -our Members Site. There is more to making a Windsor than turning a few spindles. The Windsor is part of the American Heritage and those of us who enjoy the challenges of making a beautiful chair feel a strong attachment to that heritage. I would like to hear what Jeff has to say about this subject of a sub-forum. Is it extra work? How much? Could it be an area of interest in the Notes section, etc? Phil

I hear Mark's concern about being sensitive to the time of our excellent moderators. I think Phil's notion of asking what is involved in terms of time is relevent. I would also echo his notion of the spindle turning that is required in the making of Windsor chairs. It is a very specific topic that I think would be helpful.

Website
www.woodturner.org
We had one or two threads about this topic. That is not a high interest level.

We did two recent polls for sub-forums. In general the members don't want them. If we ever do sub-forums, they will probably be on topics which get a lot of volume.

Maybe a "Group"

Might check out Yahoo. They seem to have "groups" for nearly every subject, and/or you can start your own group there. At least that was true a year or so ago. I haven't been back there for a while.

Texian said:
Might check out Yahoo. They seem to have "groups" for nearly every subject, and/or you can start your own group there. At least that was true a year or so ago. I haven't been back there for a while.

That's a very good alternative. Stubby owners (and shoppers) have an invitation Group there as a list-serve, e-mail post & read with photo storage and everything and some 5 years of archived posts. Can't be very expensive, and could be run as a minimal dues kind of thing if there are enough folks interested.

m

If you do this, let me know. Seems like this forum is not open to such a specialty. Thanks for following up on this suggestion.
DAG

Windsor chairs

Well, the question was asked and the answers given; fair and square. Jeff has to be considered and his view carried the day. I see no reason why those of us interested in Windsors who have something to share, or questions can't come up on this circuit to post. Currently, I am working on just my 2nd Windsor, a reproduction of a 1750 Comb-back that has proven to be quite the challenge. Getting the seat formed correctly and the legs stucture in place so the whole thing looks symetrical is the key to the whole chair, and its survivablity for years to come. I'm a working at it and will post a pic or two when it is done. Phil

pfduffy said:
I see no reason why those of us interested in Windsors who have something to share, or questions can't come up on this circuit to post.

I don't think anyone was taking a contrary position. Certainly something with as much turning involved as a Windsor would be perfectly appropriate on this board

I'm a working at it and will post a pic or two when it is done. Phil

I'll look forward to seeing that.

m

pfduffy said:
........................................ I see no reason why those of us interested in Windsors who have something to share, or questions can't come up on this circuit to post. Currently, I am working on just my 2nd Windsor, a reproduction of a 1750 Comb-back that has proven to be quite the challenge. Getting the seat formed correctly and the legs stucture in place so the whole thing looks symetrical is the key to the whole chair, and its survivablity for years to come. I'm a working at it and will post a pic or two when it is done. Phil

Phil,

Although not a chair builder myself, I would look forward to seeing and following posts on your, and others, progress in this area. Who knows might spark a whole new interest.

Windsor chairs are highly addictive. What's even better is that there are so many specialized tools to purchase. So if you are tired of spending all your money on turning, take it from me, take up Windsor chairs and you'll be amazed at how much you can spend.
Seriously, the way to do this is to take a course, learn the basics with less concern about the product of the chair. Then go home, and repeat the process on your own by building another. If you are interested in looking at what is required, the text of The Chairmaker's Workshop, by Langster, is the best I have seen. There are many places to take classes, one of them being John C. Campbell Folk School. www.folkschool.org

Jeff, I think some threads on variouse topics re Windsor would be great. I talked to my friends at Highland today about this discussion. Curtiss is planning another seminar in April of next year. If you are interested, he is definitely a great teacher. The sidebars and the beer after class is more than worth the price of admission. He is such a great teacher.

Back