• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wine goblets?

Are there finishes that work particularly well for wine goblets? Something that would prevent a permanent red tinge from settling into the grain?

What about glues? What if I wanted to use complementary woods to make the goblet? Something that will hold up under liquid exposure?

Or are turned goblets meant solely for decoration?

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
wine goblets

[[SII would shy away from turning goblets for drink simply for the maintenance problem. Food and drink germs can get into the tiny crevasses of the wood after several washings and there you go. Just a matter of time till they germinate and you have a real problem. I turn mine strictly for decoration and conversation pieces. It is much safer that way. A good opportunity for captive rings, etc. My .02cents after taxes. Max.ZE=4]undefined[/SIZE]I

Website
www.zionfire.com
The whole idea behind salad bowl finish is that it's washable. I've done some experiments and it seems to hold up just fine to red wine. Let it sit for 2 days, no stain perceivable.

Talked with a guy who does "period" goblets for Renaissance Fairs and the like. He suggests pine tar. "Ain't pretty, but that's what they used back when." I still wonder if the wine lovers would turn up their noses at the black tar in the bottom of their cups. Certainly would be hard to see the true color of the wine. ;)

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
DeanGThomas said:
Talked with a guy who does "period" goblets for Renaissance Fairs and the like. He suggests pine tar. "Ain't pretty, but that's what they used back when." I still wonder if the wine lovers would turn up their noses at the black tar in the bottom of their cups. Certainly would be hard to see the true color of the wine. ;)

Dean, I do some period work, and there is no way I would use pine tar. For one thing, people would not want it.

From my reading, I seriously doubt, that anyone ever sealed them with pine tar. Most wood vessels (actual period stuff) I have seen has either been untreated or painted for decoration (except on the inside)

I would also be concerned that some people would drink things the would soften/ dissolve the pine tar

I have a friend that builds stave-mugs. Only he uses a black 2 part epoxy coating. Seals the wood and doesn't effect the food either.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
DeanGThomas said:
The whole idea behind salad bowl finish is that it's washable. I've done some experiments and it seems to hold up just fine to red wine. Let it sit for 2 days, no stain perceivable.

It would appear there are several different versions of "Salad Bowl Finish" out and about. I made some cheese platters for Christmas gifts. I bought General Finishes "Salad Bowl Finish" for them and thought I was buying some kind of oil/varnish combo that would leave a satin finish and that could be "refreshed" with mineral oil or whatever. On the contrary it turned out to be almost identical to a wipe on poly and leaves a glossy, almost plastic looking finish.

Which kind of Sald Bowl Finish are you referring to?

Website
www.zionfire.com
There are at least two commercially available products known as Salad Bowl Finish, and both of them are as you describe. And both of them claim washability. If you finish a bowl with oil alone, you can wipe it clean, but you can't wash it with soap or the oil finish is usually compromised. Soap tends to remove oil and grease, at least away from where you DO want it.

They do this finish for folks who want to use red wine vinegar and raspberry juices and beets and other deeply red things that would tend to stain the heck out of light wood.

Hope it helps.

Side note: food friendly reminds me of Thanksgiving. Happy Bird Day to all. If you have a chance, and if you read this, there's a Xerox sponsored site where you can send an anonymous Thank You card to our US Military folks. I'm regularly reminded of the guy on this forum, stationed in Iraq, who contacted us and who received stuff and a lathe and more. Feel thankful and wanna help? http://www.letssaythanks.com. :D

Talked with a guy who does "period" goblets for Renaissance Fairs and the like. He suggests pine tar. "Ain't pretty, but that's what they used back when."

They also stored food in lead lined boxes but I wouldn't recommend it.

They may well have used pine tar at times but that doesn't really recommend it now. Did you ever taste "Retsina" (sp?), the greek wine aged in pine barrels? Undrinkable unless you were raised on the stuff. :( Our ancestors had lots of techniques that are no longer in use for good reason like curing cloth in horse urine. :eek:

Back