• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wired Remote for Nova DVR lathes?

Aloha mai kakou-

I am hoping some folks here use Nova DVR lathes and might possibly have some insight on wired remotes that they made or designed? Hoping to not have to reach across the work piece to stop or start the lathe

I am a part of the Teknatool facebook group, which is a spin off of a Nova Owners group previously housed in other networks (yahoo or msn?). Would anyone be able to help?

I have a Nova 1624 with DVR upgade. I don't know of any hard wired remote switch for any DVR, but Nova does/did make wireless remote switch. I was going to get you a link, but it may be discontinued. It was a similar to a car key fob. I never bought one. I did put an emergency cut-off switch on the tail stock end.

I have a Nova 1624 with DVR upgade. I don't know of any hard wired remote switch for any DVR, but Nova does/did make wireless remote switch. I was going to get you a link, but it may be discontinued. It was a similar to a car key fob. I never bought one. I did put an emergency cut-off switch on the tail stock end.
Aloha Mark-

Is your emergency shut off a switch to the outlet?

Yes. I bought this switch from Rockler:
The switch is plugged into the outlet and the lathe is plugged into the switch. You can see it in this picture.
Resized_Resized_20210718_112437.jpeg
Note, the connection hanging under the lathe is wrapped in electrical tape to keep dust out.

I don't use this switch to do a routine stop, although I have hit it by accident several times.

What Nova lathe do you have? Do you have membrane buttons (aka blister buttons)?

Yes. I bought this switch from Rockler:
The switch is plugged into the outlet and the lathe is plugged into the switch. You can see it in this picture.
View attachment 40502
Note, the connection hanging under the lathe is wrapped in electrical tape to keep dust out.

I don't use this switch to do a routine stop, although I have hit it by accident several times.

What Nova lathe do you have? Do you have membrane buttons (aka blister buttons)?
Yes I see it. I have the Orion and it has membrane buttons. I saw a schematic for the older dvr models of a home-made hard wired remote (on/off/speed dial). Am thinking of trying to replicate for orion.

Good luck with your wired remote!

I think the membrane buttons on the Orion are a better version than those on my DVR. The DVR buttons are hard to feel and give no tactile feedback. I solved this by sticking "bump stops" on the power buttons.

I bet there are a number of people here that would be interested to hear your opinions about the Orion.

I upgraded the electronics on two DVR-XP's to make them equivalent to a Saturn. While developing the Saturn Teknatool made available a limited number of the Saturn control boards and panels as DVR upgrades. I upgraded my own and one belonging to our club. I also bought one of the wireless remotes which I'm very happy with

I upgraded the electronics on two DVR-XP's to make them equivalent to a Saturn. While developing the Saturn Teknatool made available a limited number of the Saturn control boards and panels as DVR upgrades. I upgraded my own and one belonging to our club. I also bought one of the wireless remotes which I'm very happy with
Awesome you got one of those remotes! I was too late to the game. I emailed Striatech a while back about the remote; they mentioned something else in the works. However, with this Covid situation, who knows when it will be available.

Maybe I will just make do with what I got.

I have a Nova Galaxi, with the wireless remote. My remote never worked well, and quit working after a few months. It may be the chip. A fellow AAW member gave me another remote which did not help. The remote was discontinued by Nova a couple years ago. I read about quite a few issues with it which is probably why Nova discontinued it.

If you do figure out something for a wired remote I’d be interested. Please post any developments.

Awesome you got one of those remotes! I was too late to the game. I emailed Striatech a while back about the remote; they mentioned something else in the works. However, with this Covid situation, who knows when it will be available.

Maybe I will just make do with what I got.
to update, my remote died today and it was discontinued 3 -4 years ago so I'm outta luck. I should have knocked on wood before posting!

to update, my remote died today and it was discontinued 3 -4 years ago so I'm outta luck. I should have knocked on wood before posting!
Shucks. Sorry to hear that Dave. Fingers crossed that the remote I've seen for the Nova Nebula will be backwards compatible with other lathes.

Back