• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Dust

I guess this is a PSA. New turners and woodworkers always ask about techniques and tools and problem solving but there is an aspect of turning and any woodworking that isn’t addressed enough, especially for the newbies. Wood dust is insidious. It’s not just the dust from certain toxic woods. All wood dust can be a carcinogenic. I always use a 3M half face piece respirator because I don’t want to worry about it and a regular face mask does not protect against the really small particles.

Wood dust hazards

I got serious about turning early this year. This is something I was aware of, but early on I wasn't taking it seriously enough. I didn't have any symptoms, but I became aware that if I was going to do this long term, I needed to deal with the dust. I have a canister dust collector and a ceiling mount Rikon air filter (still sitting on the bench until I can hang it). I am also sure to wear PPE when sanding and grinding.

I am guilty of making a few cuts w/o my mask on. Because of my heightened awareness of the challenges of dust, I can feel the impact of that laziness later in the evening. Put your PPE on every cut; your lungs will thank you one day!

I got serious about turning early this year. This is something I was aware of, but early on I wasn't taking it seriously enough. I didn't have any symptoms, but I became aware that if I was going to do this long term, I needed to deal with the dust. I have a canister dust collector and a ceiling mount Rikon air filter (still sitting on the bench until I can hang it). I am also sure to wear PPE when sanding and grinding.
Kent, it’s not just sanding and grinding. Turning creates fine dust too. I don’t think any dust collection system, at least any in my price range, can remove all the dust that is created.
When out and about, I see too many people towing oxygen tanks behind them to take any risk.
Of course, smoking that big cigar may make dust a non-issue. :):)

Where I live, all wood dust is deemed toxic, so that simplifies things for many. As will starting to set up the new shop in the New Year . I will have the DC on wheels and move to where its needed, and the atmospheric workshop cleaner will be suspended above the lathe. I am toying with the idea of in stalling shower type curtains around the lathe to minimise the throw of chips

DC’s, at least most of what we home hobbyists use, should be called CC’s for chip collectors. Typically not enough velocity and the collecter is not close enough to the point of dust origin to grab enough. I wear dust PPE even with wet wood - I see enough stuff floating in the air with wet wood to wear my Versaflo.

The difference for my sinuses, how irritated they got and the amount of “stuff” blown out the nose, changed dramatically with proper ppe.

Wood dust isn't quite as problematic as smoking, which is a nearly perfect delivery systems for getting very small particles deep into your lungs.

Back