• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Identification Help

Hi guys. I turned these two pieces recently out of a tree that we cut down when clearing a fence row. Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of wood it might be? The tree was quite thorny. Any ideas welcome.
IMG-5124.jpgIMG-5313.jpg

Looks like Buckthorn, which I believe is native to Europe but considered an invasive species here.

9133-46-47RingBoxb.JPG These are some ring boxes from limbs about 2.5" (63mm) diameter.

PigsFront.JPG This piggy bank was made for my grandson when he was a baby and he is now 20 years old. The body is about 4" diameter by about 5" long with the head ( that screws on and off to get the money out) and tail added to that

Yes I do think it is Common Buckthorn, though there are other Buckthorns like Alder Buckthorn and Cascara Buckthorn and more N.American species, but the Common Buckthorn is a aggressive invasive one.

I have turned a few pieces of it, one was a burl and the color of the wood is quite striking, turns well, just hard to find larger pieces.the burl was approx. 8".

Buckthorn burl.jpg Buckthorns.jpgBuckthorn HF.jpg

Its an interesting wood to turn whatever it is. The bowl was from the stump of the tree with some of the root. Some really interesting grain patterns.
The jar/vase had a big crack in the side that you see. I filled that with coffee grains and thin CA glue.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't think that Bois d'Arc (also called Osage Orange) grows as far north as Canada, but it often grows along fence rows and along creek beds in Texas. Bois d'Arc trees have large thorns on the limbs. The wood is very tough, but turns reasonably well with sharp tools. A dead giveaway on identifying the wood is that freshly cut Bois d'Arc is very bright yellow, but the sad news is that the beautiful color doesn't last very long and soon turns to a rich almost chocolate brown.

I don't think that Bois d'Arc (also called Osage Orange) grows as far north as Canada, but it often grows along fence rows and along creek beds in Texas. Bois d'Arc trees have large thorns on the limbs. The wood is very tough, but turns reasonably well with sharp tools. A dead giveaway on identifying the wood is that freshly cut Bois d'Arc is very bright yellow, but the sad news is that the beautiful color doesn't last very long and soon turns to a rich almost chocolate brown.
Yes it does grow in Southern Ontario, but only where they did plant it, it's not growing in the wild, and yes it has thorns, one reason they used it for fencing.
Quite rare, but I did get some chunks and turned a few piece from it, one short log about 2 feet long I got from a friend where he cut the stump from a Osage tree that grew along a field and was a leaner and got cut off like that years before, it had several splits, but I turned it anyway, had to leave a thicker wall as you can see in the picture of the bowl and the splits showing on the bottom side.

Osage Orange stump.jpg Osage orange bowl.jpgOsage orange bowl.jpg Osage Orange bowl bottom.jpg
The color of Osage Orange bark is quite different from Common Buckthorn and the wood's color is certainly different as well.

Osage Orange.jpg
Also the grain is not like Common Buckthorn, compare it.

Osage Orange lidded bowl.jpg

Back