• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Identification

My neighbor just gave me a load of wood, beautiful with a lot of crotch and spalting but I am not sure what it is. I think beech what do you folks think?

Thanks,
PatIMG_20210930_021003152_HDR.jpgIMG_20210930_153926535_HDR.jpgIMG_20210930_155607006_HDR.jpg

Thanks for your quick and accurate responses! I have spent the last hour looking at pics on the internet and you are spot on!

Dean. How in earth does someone is MT know about the world famous Appleknockers?

Hmm, bark looks wrong for hackberry. My first thought was mimosa/silk tree, which does have a smooth bark. I can't turn it any more, started to react to it.

robo hippy

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've cut down and turned a fair amount of hackberry and it reminds me of it but, the stuff I've turned has bigger bumps/warts on the bark. The spalted wood looks like what I've turned that has spalted so my vote would be hackberry but, maybe a different variety.

I've cut down and turned a fair amount of hackberry and it reminds me of it but, the stuff I've turned has bigger bumps/warts on the bark. The spalted wood looks like what I've turned that has spalted so my vote would be hackberry but, maybe a different variety.
One thing I noticed when looking at bark pics is that it seems to vary depending on age and probably variety. btw Anyone living near So Ill can stop by and pick up a few pieces.
Pat

Illinois state basketball tournament back when it was all one class, maybe 1963 or 64?
Figured as much. I was in High School 63-64 but did not know the story until I moved from Chicago to Cobden in 1973. I have come to know a few of the Team and in their 70's their still home town heroes.

Back