• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Joining Question

I'm trying to make a simple 4 string guitar from wood. I wanted to make the tuner end, at the end of the neck, angled down by 15 degrees. I 'm afraid if I cut a board at 15 degs and epoxy it onto the end of a straight board it won't be strong enough and could break. What do you think and what method would you recommend? The board for the neck is only 3/4" thick and 2" wide. One more thing, after the tuner end is attached how do you hid the seam?

Thanks,
Bob

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I would either make the whole neck out of one piece or add a dovetail to the neck and head. Your only talking about 15 degrees which would be pretty easy to hand plane. You could saw it close and then place it down. The underside of the head and neck would probably need draw knife or spokeshave to do this.
The dovetail might be easier if you have patience and a sharp chisel. Cut close with a small saw such as a coping saw or dovetail saw and then trip the dovetail to size with the chisel. Then lay it on the neck and mark the shape. Chisel this out carefully to exactly match. I would make this a half dovetail. Meaning that the dovetail doesn't go all the way through. This would make a stronger joint and won't disturb the back of the neck.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
bpolvo said:
I 'm afraid if I cut a board at 15 degs and epoxy it onto the end of a straight board it won't be strong enough and could break. What do you think and what method would you recommend?

Here's the standard method for creating an angled headstock on a guiltar neck. The joint of course has to be perfect. Standard white glue or any good wood glue will do the trick.

Attachments

• Angled headstock.jpg
    Angled headstock.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 104
Back