• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Lathe Project

Hi, my current assignment for my night class is based on designing a wood turning lathe for manufacture. I have spent a good while gathering information on this subject and to be honest I would never have thought turning could be so interesting. However I am struggling to get some information on the following, if anyone could offer their help I would greatly appreciate it.

Ensure that your design meets relevant machinery, safety,electrical standards and state which standards you have consulted.

I cannot find any sources that help me with the above whether it be via the internet or library, though most of the internet sources regarding standards require you to purchase the standards first.

Thanks for your time, hope you can help!

Mike

Have you checked on standards for machine tools in general? I'm guessing that you could go on your state's website and start emailing specific questions to the omnbudsman for direction.

Dietrich

Mike,
I just did a quick google search and came up with some info from OSHA.

Here are some links.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9836

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9837

If these links work, they should take you to areas in the table of contents of the OSHA index. If they don't take you to where I got them, google OSHA and search on their site.

I hope this will be of some help. Good Luck, I hope you designe a winner.

Thanks for your help, after searching this morning I came across that website and have a printed copy of it. The main problem being that I am studying in England and no doubt the standards will be slightly different, though over here unfortunately wood turning is very poorly documented and the only references I can find all appear to be American based.

Thanks for the response

Mike,

If you're looking for "regulatory" standards, the OSHA site will be helpful. If you're looking for "industry" standards, like Underwriters Labs or NEMA (National Assoc. of Electrical Manufacturers), you can look them up, of course, but the faster way may be to contact manufacturers like Oneway, Robust, Vega, etc., and ask your same questions to them directly. Remember that you may be dealing with several sets standards for different aspects of your design. Remember too that such standards only set minimums, but "winning" designs will be those that exceed the minimums.

Good luck!!

Mark

P.S. Since I now see that you're in England, you can add Silverdrive Engineering to your list of lathe manufacturer contacts.

M

Last edited:
It has been many years and I didn't have to deal directly with them, but back 10 years ago the EC was developing a very comprehensive set of standards that seemed to be a super-set of everyone else's standards. We had to meet those standards in order to put the CE label on our products (scientific laboratory instruments). You might try looking for ISO standards. For example, the ISO-9000 series is a set of "quality/consistency" standards.

Back