• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood turning Cherry Galls?

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I have a couple cherry galls here and I'm wondering how they might turn? Anyone have any experience with them? Are they mostly hollow or similar to burls inside? Thanks

Only had a few of them, had more oak galls. They had far more voids in them than burl. The oak ones reminded me of lava flows, kind of layered rather than bulging out from a center point. Put one on the lathe and turn it. Stand out of the line of fire!

robo hippy

I have opened some up and they are basically just an empty shell, the insect larva eats the inside to mature and then tunnels out, you'll find a very small hole in them when the larva left, anyway there is no solid inside.

There are different gall wasps and the galls are different, when the gall is still green you can find some soft material in there and a maybe a grub as well.

Oak leaf gall.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a very attractive turning. What you are calling a gall, I think may be a burl. When I hear gall, I picture what Leo has posted - a tree’s reaction to an insect. Maybe semantics. In any case, you’ve done a neat job of using it and filling voids with resin.

That’s a very attractive turning. What you are calling a gall, I think may be a burl. When I hear gall, I picture what Leo has posted - a tree’s reaction to an insect. Maybe semantics. In any case, you’ve done a neat job of using it and filling voids with resin.
This has been discussed on a couple of woodturning sites where Denny has posted. One is a gall, and the other is caused by a gall wasp. Both can be called a gall. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/cherry/what-is-cherry-tree-gall.htm

I do not agree with the Gardeners idea of a burl calling it a Cherry gall, these growths have been called burls or burrs for a very long time, growing on any type of tree, be it Maple, Oak or Cherry.

The Cherry gall IMO is a gall on a leaf, could be an Oak leaf or other that will turn red like a cherry, that is a Cherry gall, as shown in these pictures.

The explanation of the galls is that it is caused by wasps and the plant grows these and other types depending the wasp species.

What the gardeners are referring to is a disease that affect better than 140 plants and is called Crown gall, (they do so to) quite a different animal, actual a bacterium and it does not form solid wood as in a Burl.

I got some info on that below if you are interested in this kind of stuff.

Cherry Galls on Oak leaf.jpg

Cherry galls.jpg

This is part of the gardeners explanation of the galls but it is not the wood burl growing on all kinds of trees, including Cherry trees,

it is a bacterial growth as seen on many plants including trees, it is called CROWN GALL, not CHERRY GALL.

Crown galls on Cherry trees.jpg

Crown galls as seen on trees.

Willow gall.jpgFruit tree branch bacterial-crown-gall.jpg

bacterial krown gall on Cherry branch.jpg
Crowngall disease.jpg
THERE is more if you like to know, just google KROWN GALL,

I stand corrected. Thanks for the education Richard!
Here is another picture of cancers and also called galls, these are on a Hickory tree, I've seen similar ones on other tree species also on wild Cherry shrubs and trees.

Hickory_galls.jpg

Here are two pictures, in the first picture they call it a Gall :confused:

in the second picture we call it a Burl :)

they call it a gall.jpg

We call it a burl.jpg

I think this has been enough of a correction on the Cherry Gall misnomer.

Last edited:
Website
originalrevolutions.com
Well this is my first experience with using a gall and although they both had more voids inside than some burls, I found that much of the grain was very similar to a burl. I was told by a fellow in my wood turners group who is in his eighties that burls would be on the bottom of the tree and galls would be up higher on the stem. After having seen what the grain inside looks like on the two pieces I have turned, I think they are more similar to burls than I had expected.Although I am by no means an expert on this. I have only turned a few pieces of burl to date and the grain patterns are similar to these "galls" inside.

Well this is my first experience with using a gall and although they both had more voids inside than some burls, I found that much of the grain was very similar to a burl. I was told by a fellow in my wood turners group who is in his eighties that burls would be on the bottom of the tree and galls would be up higher on the stem. After having seen what the grain inside looks like on the two pieces I have turned, I think they are more similar to burls than I had expected.Although I am by no means an expert on this. I have only turned a few pieces of burl to date and the grain patterns are similar to these "galls" inside.
Maybe you misunderstood the old guy Denny, (I'm just starting my 80th year in May coming up) as yes a lot of the cancerous galls do grow on thin twigs and branches and these are of course higher up, where the burls grow on the tree trunk.

Here's one that is growing on the trunk of a Maple at my son's place, though it is higher up on the trunk, but it is still a burl, (I would love to get my hands on it, but that will not happen I'm afraid :)

Attachments

• Sugar Maple burl.jpg
    Sugar Maple burl.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 7
Here is another picture of cancers and also called galls, these are on a Hickory tree, I've seen similar ones on other tree species also on wild Cherry shrubs and trees.

View attachment 42816

Here are two pictures, in the first picture they call it a Gall :confused:

in the second picture we call it a Burl :)

View attachment 42817

View attachment 42818

I think this has been enough of a correction on the Cherry Gall misnomer.
I have seen examples of cherry galls and burls exactly as Leo has pictured on the naturally occurring black cherry trees in my area ( very close to lake Itasca the source of the Mississippi). The trees seldom get bigger then about 8" dimeter before they die of ring rot.

Do you have a photo of what it looked like before you turned or cut it?

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I do not. The tree stem was maybe two or three inches in diamete and the piece itself was about 6 or 7 inches in diameter, maybe even larger and that much in height completely all around the stem. Never thought of taking a photo of it. I guess I should have.

I do not. The tree stem was maybe two or three inches in diamete and the piece itself was about 6 or 7 inches in diameter, maybe even larger and that much in height completely all around the stem. Never thought of taking a photo of it. I guess I should have.
Was it similar to the picture that Leo posted that showed a burl like growth on the side of a black cherry trunk with extremely rough bark?

Website
originalrevolutions.com
Yes it was similar
I need to apologize. I talked to Duane again via email. It was not galls that he called the ones on the stem (I think I saw that on an article on the web). He called them "Plum Knot Virus" that are the ones on the stem. My bad. I mixed the two up. I guess it affects many trees including Cherry and Plums.

The two I have turned look a lot like burls inside.

Back