• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

WoodFast 408 Short Bed Lathe (Located near Maryville, TN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm offering my WoodFast 408 short bed bowl lathe for sale, but ONLY because I found a deal on a larger lathe that I couldn't pass up. I've had this lathe for just over a year, and it was my first "serious" lathe. The previous owner did a wonderful job restoring the machine as you can see in the photos. Last summer I noticed a bit of noise in the bearings, so I replaced them all with new Timken bearings, and put a new drive belt on. It has a 16" swing and was made in Australia in 1994 (per the serial number and Craft Supplies USA who was the importer). This has a variable speed Leeson DC motor and Minarik VFD. This model has a 5 step pulley (some were 4 step) so you can get more torque at lower speeds on larger pieces. I attached a photo of the plate showing the speeds available, but the variable speed drive works with all of them. I usually run it with the belt on the middle groove of the pulley and rarely need to change it. It doesn't have a digital read out, but I'll include the handheld tach that was provided with it. Also a steady rest (in need of new wheels) comes with it along with the original owners manual and a knock out bar. No other accessories included. It's a 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindle and #2MT in the head stock and tailstock. Weight is about 400 pounds. You'll need to bring some muscle to load it. I can only provide limited help. $1500. Located near Maryville, TN, about 30 minutes south of Knoxville. You can reach me thru private message here or by phone/text at 865-384-9734. Email knoxdude58@gmail.com. If I didn't need the room, I'd keep it and the bigger lathe both in a heartbeat! Even though it's nearing 30 years old, these are still highly regarded machines. Thanks... Lynn Dudenbostel

PXL_20220329_232301583.jpgPXL_20220329_232132415.jpgPXL_20220329_232247532.MP.jpgPXL_20220329_232239529.jpgPXL_20220329_232224666.jpgPXL_20220329_232056407.jpg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have been using the long bed version of this lathe since 1992, and can give it the thumbs up! Woodfast no longer produces this lathe, and a knock off has subsequently been produced in China. Lynn's is the real thing, produced in Australia. This was the premium lathe offered by CSUSA in 1992, and is a quality offering.

Look's like Lynn's Woodfast lathe was originally a 5-step pully and not variable speed.....which is the same as mine. I also upgraded with a Leeson 1.5hp DC motor and Minarik variable speed drive. (although not exactly the same model) This is a great upgrade to this lathe.

I also needed to change out the bearings about 5 years ago. Other than that, there really isn't much that can go wrong with this heavy cast iron lathe.

Mine was originally listed as 525 lbs, so the difference in weight is between the long and short bed. The base is built like a tank!

With the Minarik upgrade, this is a great price for this premium lathe...

-----odie-----

IMG_0070.JPG

I have been using the long bed version of this lathe since 1992, and can give it the thumbs up! Woodfast no longer produces this lathe, and a knock off has subsequently been produced in China. Lynn's is the real thing, produced in Australia. This was the premium lathe offered by CSUSA in 1992, and is a quality offering.

Look's like Lynn's Woodfast lathe was originally a 5-step pully and not variable speed.....which is the same as mine. I also upgraded with a Leeson 1.5hp DC motor and Minarik variable speed drive. (although not exactly the same model) This is a great upgrade to this lathe.

I also needed to change out the bearings about 5 years ago. Other than that, there really isn't much that can go wrong with this heavy cast iron lathe.

Mine was originally listed as 525 lbs, so the difference in weight is between the long and short bed. The base is built like a tank!

With the Minarik upgrade, this is a great price for this premium lathe...

-----odie-----

View attachment 43997
Thanks Odie. They are fantastic machines and if a 3520B hadn't surfaced within a reasonable drive or of I had a little more room in the shop, I'd be perfectly happy to keep it. I particularly like the short bed. Fortunately the 3520B has a movable headstock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back