• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Forums?

Forums

Hey Tom, no offense taken. Where ever you can learn more about woodturning the better. Most woodworking forums have turning sections. Some Googling around should find several. A few I am familiar with are WoodCentral & SawMill Creek. Woodturners Unlimited, LumberJocks, Woodturners Resource, WoodturningOnline, and I'm sure there are lots of others. Good luck and have fun.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There are a bunch. I post in several of them and just lurk in others. Some have almost no activity and a few are moderately busy at times. I have noticed that many of the same names show up at most of the forums that I visit. I would guess that less than 2% of woodturners participate in online forums. The others are probably are too busy turning to sit in front of a computer and talk about it. Overall, online forums aren't as active as they were years ago. According to some studies this is true for essentially all forums regardless of the focus. I think that Facebook and similar social media are taking over everything. You can probably get a lot of hits by Googling "woodturning forum". I don't know how you go about finding woodturners on Facebook because I have been trying to avoid getting into one more reason to sit in front of a computer. I retired so that I wouldn't have to spend as much time in front of a computer, but so far it doesn't seem to be working.

Just don't say anything bad about Grizzly machines on Sawmillcreek. First you get your hand slapped, then you get banned if the hand slap isn't effective in altering your comments.

Website
www.jjstephen.com
My favourite is WOW(World of Wood) but I frequent SawMillCreek, woodturners unlimited and here.

The same ones I read plus Lumberjocks. Couple of additional but unrelated points:

1. It does seem, in recent years, that overall discussion forum traffic has dropped substantially. I suspect some of it has simply migrated to the various Facebook groups related to woodturning. I peruse several of those as well.

2. WOW is great for seeing other people's work, but it isn't a very good place to learn too much about woodturning since most of the discussions (the "family talks" section) over there are not about techniques and what not. The best practical discussions are often the comments associated with the pictures posted where the creator can sometimes provide technical insight into how their piece was created.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I love Woodcentral, this place and WOW. I get the best turning information Here and Woodcentral. You do get to see remarkable work on WOW although you do get to see a lot of good work here and often it's the same work as on WOW.

So I'm not the only one who's hand has been slapped at SMC? :) have to agree with the comments above. I like Woodnet, lurk and have started posting a bit at Woodcentral, but I have to say there are some regulars HERE who I really respect. Very generous and knowledgeable folks and I always seem to learn something. Things do seem to be quiet sometimes, but it's nice that a discussion about other forums can be had here.

Doug

Haha--funny about SMC, doesn't surprise me though.
Another forum that's friendly is Woodbarter---it's not all selling or trading wood.
Agree with Bill & others--I'm pretty stingy with my "free" time in terms of sitting in front of a 'pooter, (I'm not retired yet) as my avocation often goes dark to dark.

If you want to check facebook just do a search for "woodturner" or "wood turner" and you will get several hits. Most of these are good lots of newbies on these, but some real good turners and carvers also. Also there is a group , kinda small but active called Woodworking Friends Proboards by William Young. Oh by the way in both facebook groups and proboards you will have to be accepted (or invited) .

Well, I have never had problems over at SMC, and I do say bad things about Grizzly. I don't trash them, but most of the time my comment is that their industrial grade machines are good, but the hobby level tools are hit or miss, and most over there tend to agree. I am on Woodcentral, Woodnet, and Woodturner's Resource. All forums seem to have their 'characters'. There is an Australian woodworking forum, and one in the UK as well. Some nice folks over there. Funniest thing I learned from the UK one was from a thread titled, 'Need help with a priest'. Found out that is what they call the 'fish wacker' because it administers 'last rites'...

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... Funniest thing I learned from the UK one was from a thread titled, 'Need help with a priest'. Found out that is what they call the 'fish wacker' because it administers 'last rites'...

Is that the same thing s a wood carvers mallet? Our Texas fish are well behaved, so we don't need to whack them. However, sometimes they are ambivalent about whatever enticements that I might toss their way.

There is an Australian woodworking forum, and one in the UK as well. Some nice folks over there. Funniest thing I learned from the UK one was from a thread titled, 'Need help with a priest'. Found out that is what they call the 'fish wacker' because it administers 'last rites'...

robo hippy[/QUOTE]

I have used a priest for alaskan salmon before putting on stringer. Gretch

preist//shaman//holy man

fish wacker///wacker

is anyone familiar with devils tower in Wyoming........doing research on the temples in malta......there is another devils tower but offshore of malta.......only thing it is an island now, but before two different ocean level rising it was a tower sort of like devils tower on the south of malta it was offset from the island on a peninsular.......2 different temple sites were built on the mainland overlooking this site HAGAR QIM & MNAJDRA

http://cartruts.com/pages/prehistoricshoreline.htm

no trace of wackers in fact no weapons besides knifes are found in early stuff

funny a priest would be associated with wacker.....but looking at our aspiring presidents we really do need some fish wackers

"But the Temple people were more than just good engineers and architects. They may well have been the custodians of great wisdom and knowledge as well. Certainly they knew how to live peacefully. None of their constructions of over 2000 years of Maltese occupation show any apparent defensive or offensive purpose in their design. They may have been among the last great civilizations that flourished without major conflict or war with other men. There may be much more to discover and learn from them"

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... fish wacker///wacker ...
no trace of wackers in fact no weapons besides knifes are found in early stuff

funny a priest would be associated with wacker...

Maybe it is because something is "out of whack"

You're not likely to find an eccentric or crazy priest.

Back