• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Working with what ya got

I started turning on a Shopsmith back around 1985ish, with instructions from the manual they made. My technique was called “catch and release”. My first bowl of any size was a chunk of myrtle, it ended up 5 inches across and 2 1/2 high, the blank started out about 10 by 4 as I recall. My current space is somewhat “rustic”, the ‘smith blows the breakers for the garage and the pond so I’m running it off of a generator. Still, I turn onward, currently trying my hand at turning a green piece of Siberian Black Elm that was a casualty of last winters ice storm. I’m picking up some great tips from you guys!312620D1-D90A-4B9F-972D-FD1333B019A9.jpegE4F0B47B-1D94-426C-8796-E48EB8583097.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Well great, Spike! I also started turning with a Shopsmith around 1982. It works, but if you keep it up, you'll eventually want to upgrade. Mine is long gone now, but it was an older model from the 1950's. It wasn't very stable, but back then I didn't know what advantages a more stable dedicated lathe had!

There is a great bunch of experienced turners on this AAW forum that can help you with your basic questions.

-----odie-----

Spike, now that beings back old memories for me. My first piece of woodworking equipment was similar called "Total Shop" back in the early 70's as I recall. Boy, I wish that I still had it.......but sold it many years ago.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
great work can be done on a crappy lathe.
a lot of crappy work is done on great lathes.
its the knowledge and skill of the turner that counts.

best way to advance the knowledge and skills is with quality classes or a competent mentor.

a list of well known turners who started with a shop-smith would be quite long.
keep learning

This is the Craftsman lathe (picture from the internet) I started on 45 years ago. I think it was 20+ years old when I found it in the basement of our rental apartment and the landlord gave it to me. Lots of scraping and catches. At one point a catch snapped the cast iron banjo which I replaced with an oak facsimile. I still have a few of the things I turned on that lathe. No masterpieces, but great sentimental value.1626179618911.jpeg

I guess we do with what we have cuz we love what we do with what we have!
My first lathe was a homemade thing I made using a 3/8" variable speed Milwaukee hand drill.Built a frame out of some cheap Home Depot wood and had at it! That was about 4 years ago and it didn't tame me long to go shopping for a real lathe.I found an old/used Delta 46-250 Midi Lathe and I guess you can call that an up-grade? LOL I'm 77 years old,got into turning late in life and figure the lathe will outlast me! LOL

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I had a lot of trepidation about starting this chunk of unbalanced wood, but the ‘smith speed reducer really helped to get it rounded.
BTW, here is the bowl I referenced in the OP, it started out twice as big!E10EB53F-FA31-491B-90E5-CAB5064AC7E1.jpeg

I think we all started with the “catch and release” method! Your setup limits the size and depth of cut but not the quality of the finished piece.

The thing that would bother me the most about turning on a Shopsmith, is the height. My back just won't take that much bent over time! Let alone trying to focus my bifocals with the wood that far away from my face. I once drove an AMC Gremlin too, but moved up a lot over the years, just like I did with my lathes.

Boy howdy do I hear you! I have degenerated discs in C4,5&6, a couple in lumbar, and a herniated one in L5. I need readers, too! The resul is that I can only work for short bursts most of the time, otherwise I just deal with it. I have developed a certain pain tolerance over the years.

I am 64 and have arthritis too. (3 on scale of 5). Chainsaw vibration is the worst! I have found that Meloxicam twice a day every 12 hours reduces the arthritic inflammation. Also, eat one avocado daily and do not eat tomatoes or other nightshade family. Freshly grated ginger tea at night helps reduce inflammation overnight.
Hot showers in the morning gets the synovial fluid moving again. Hope this helps.

I am 64 and have arthritis too. (3 on scale of 5). Chainsaw vibration is the worst! I have found that Meloxicam twice a day every 12 hours reduces the arthritic inflammation. Also, eat one avocado daily and do not eat tomatoes or other nightshade family. Freshly grated ginger tea at night helps reduce inflammation overnight.
Hot showers in the morning gets the synovial fluid moving again. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tips! I have quite a medicine cabinet! I find that if I keep moving the pain has a bit more trouble catching up with me, only problem is a can’t stop!

Well, once uncle arthritis stops in for a visit, he never goes away.... Daily exercise and stretching seems to help me the most. Love the swimming pool! If I didn't stretch, I probably wouldn't be able to move...

robo hippy

Back